Peak Performers is a nonprofit recruiting firm specializing in contract roles for Texas public sector clients. We've partnered with the Texas Department of Agriculture (TDA) to recruit for a ACCOUNTANT IV in Austin, TX.
Established in 1907, the Texas Department of Agriculture (TDA) partners with all Texans to promote production agriculture, consumer protection, economic development, and healthy living. TDA seeks to: fortify Texas’ economy, empower ex-urban communities, promote healthy lifestyles, and elevate Texas to the nation’s leader in agriculture. Working with the common threads of agriculture in our daily lives, TDA provides exceptional service and creative initiatives to Texans in every setting.
Performs complex (journey-level) accounting work. Work involves preparing financial statements, records, documents, and reports. May specialize in some phase of accounting work such as federal funds accounting, property and equipment control. Works under general supervision, with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
- Prepares financial statements, reports, schedules, and exhibits; prepares and audits general journal entries.
- Approves and audits payment, cash, purchase, travel, and related vouchers.
- Prepares periodic analyses of fund balances and expenditures.
- Audits accounting and financial documents for accuracy and compliance with departmental policies and procedures and state and federal statutes.
- Classifies, codes, posts, and balances financial and accounting documents and records.
- Checks accounting operations in progress, and reviews and audits completed financial records for accuracy and conformance with legal and departmental procedures and regulations.
- Maintains and determines the accuracy and reliability of agency accounting records, such as expenditure, fund, appropriation, expense and revenue collection records, and ensures agency assets are accounted for properly.
- Maintains adequate records of expenditures, funds, appropriations, and expenses, as well as revenue collected and deposited.
- Maintains systems and controls necessary to provide accurate accounts of expenditures and budget balances for agency programs.
- Analyzes and recommends improvements, adaptations, or revisions to the accounting system and accompanying procedures.
- Researches and reconciles discrepancies in accounts, bank statements, or appropriation balances; and reports findings.
- May assist in planning accounting and administrative support work procedures.
- Experience in accounting and financial operations. Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in accounting, finance, or a related field is generally preferred. Education and experience may be substituted for one another.
- Experience with USAS and advanced Excel is required.
- Knowledge of fiscal programs; of governmental accounting; of budget control methods, policies, and procedures; and of laws and regulations pertaining to financial operations.
- Skill in the use of office equipment, computers, and associated software applications.
- Ability to interpret and apply accounting theory, to plan and coordinate financial programs, to plan procedures and coordinate accounting operations, to interpret laws and regulations, to communicate effectively, and to train others.
Project term: 5/1/19-8/31/19
Compensation: $23.00/hr (W2)
Work Location: 1700 N Congress Ave , SFA Bldg 11th Floor, Austin, TX 78701
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:00AM to 5:00PM
What's it like to work for Peak Performers?
- Qualified applicants with chronic medical conditions and/or disabilities receive job preference.
- Our clients can hire you at any time - with no fee! We want you to get hired.
- We pay weekly through direct deposit.
- We offer ACA compliant health insurance at 60 days.
- In business since 1994, our relationships span 24 years and thousands of job placements.
All employment offers are contingent on the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check, in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws.
Applicants for employment with Peak Performers must possess work authorization that does not require sponsorship for a visa now or in the future.
Peak Performers is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applicants without regard to race, marital status, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
Peak Performers does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters, recruitment agencies or fee based recruitment services.