Monday-Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM with some flexibility. Work hours change seasonally to include overnight shifts for months at a time.
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Coordinates, directs, and/or conducts investigations and surveys related to environmental issues and programs.
- Issues directives and performs enforcement actions for non-compliance with code and/or regulations.
- Develops sampling protocol and standard operating procedures.
- Responds to and directs spills and complaint actions.
- Provides technical information and assistance to internal and external customers.
- Develops and implements rules, code changes, and training programs.
- Implements permitting and registration programs.
- Reviews and interprets policies, codes, regulations, ordinances, plans, and proposals for compliance.
- Researches, develops, presents, and/or submits incident, inspection, and technical reports/cases to appropriate agency/personnel.
- Participates in and/or leads City-wide initiatives, task forces, and committees.
- Resolves appeals of permit denials.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
May provide leadership, guidance, and technical support to others.
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of applicable processes, techniques, and methods.
- Knowledge of City practices, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge of supervisory and managerial techniques and principles.
- Skill in handling conflict and uncertain situations.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in using computers and related software applications.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective communication and working relationships with City employees and the public.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to train others.
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Environmental Science, Life Science, Natural Science, or related field, plus six (6) years of relevant experience.
- Graduation with a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university may substitute for two (2) years of the required experience
- One (1) additional year of experience may substitute for one (1) year of the required education with a maximum substitution of four (4) years.
Licenses or Certifications:
- May require a valid State of Texas Class C Driver License and the ability to meet driver eligibility standards detailed in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program.
- Demonstrated experience providing excellent customer service, facilitating resolution of customer issues
- Ability to understand regulatory code language and experience working in regulatory enforcement
- Experience managing code compliance issues, including reviewing documentation to determine compliance with code, rules and regulations
- Experience interpreting and explaining technical data, policies and procedures to a wide audience including citizens, plumbers and contractors
- Experience drafting code enforcement documents, including Reminder Notices, Notice of Violations and assessing fines
- Experience using GIS and database systems to maintain data and track compliance
- Demonstrated problem-solving and conflict resolution skills