Performs complex (mid-level) support work. The Specialist develops, implements, and administers the Cross Connection Control and Backflow Prevention Program (CCC-BPP). Work involves reviewing, examining, interpreting, and enforcing multiple, complex water protection regulations that govern cross connections, backflow prevention, auxiliary and reclaimed water systems, water wells, and private fire hydrant systems. These programs are politically sensitive and impactful to the environment and public health and are in accordance with authority delegated by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ). Works under limited supervision, with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgement.
Essential Duties & Required Qualifications
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinates and conducts inspections of commercial and residential buildings and sites to ensure compliance with City, State, and Federal regulations.
- Identifies areas of non-compliance and advises contractors, design professionals, owners, and other parties of non-compliance; negotiates resolutions; and initiates enforcement proceedings of water protection and cross connection control issues of diverse scope and complexity.
- Interprets and explains City policies and procedures and provides technical information, training, guidance, and support to internal and external customers. Answers citizen and customer inquiries and complaints.
- Reviews plans, specifications, designs, and proposals with development representatives to achieve final plans in compliance with applicable regulations.
- Utilizes computerized software plan review programs and performs reviews of electronic or ink- or pencil-generated design, drawings, and maps.
- Performs research and analysis of applications, contracts, schedules, and other records to determine impact on proposed designs; assesses compliance with applicable regulations; makes recommendations for plan changes; and provides approvals.
- Conducts and reports on investigations and inspections of multiple water protection ordinances that include backflow prevention, cross connection control related activities, private fire hydrant complaints, auxiliary water systems, water wells, lake water protection, emergency incident actions, and other related events.
- Assists in case file preparation; initiates and participates in administrative, civil, and criminal enforcement proceedings; and provides testimony in legal proceedings for alleged violations of regulations.
- Participates in public outreach efforts, initiatives, task forces, and committees.
- Investigates water protection, backflow prevention, cross connection, private fire hydrant complaints, emergency events, incidents, actions, and other related situations.
- Develops applicable policies, procedures, and plans for this program to protect the City’s drinking water supply from potential contamination due to cross-connections and backflow (siphoning).
- Works with the Building Official to identify and notify customers lacking backflow protection required by the TCEQ or local plumbing code.
- Participates in area wide meetings at the state level pertaining to cross connection control.
- Prioritizes commercial and residential annual customer service inspections on a monthly basis for contract inspectors to obtain detailed supporting records of backflow devices including date of installation, model no., previous test results, number and types of notifications.
- Compiles statistical data from multiple sources and department databases including device tracking software, utility billing software, and inspection reporting computer-based records.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- High school graduate or its equivalent.
- Minimum of three years in plan review, zoning administration, building code, code enforcement or related experience.
Required Certificates and Licenses:
- Customer Service Inspector (CSI).
- Class "C" Driver License (Approximately 30% driving time in a company vehicle).
- Must be able to obtain a Texas plumbing inspector license within six (6) months of hire.
- Must be able to obtain a Texas Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester (BPAT) License within six (6) months of hire.
- Must be able to obtain certification from the International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials (IAPMO) on the Uniform Plumbing Code or valid certification from the International Code Council (ICC) on the International Plumbing Code within six (6) months of hire.
- Associate's degree (A.A.) or 60 college hours in planning, public administration, geography, or related field from an accredited college or university or technical school.
- Four years work related experience in plan review, zoning administration, building code, code enforcement or related field.
- Municipal (city, county, etc.) experience with an emphasis on planning and development operations.
- Backflow prevention and cross connection control experience.
- Valid Class “C” Texas driver’s license or ability to obtain a Texas driver’s license within 90 days of hire.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of department administration and organization, departmental rules and regulations; city rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of cross connection control and backflow prevention.
- Must be detail oriented, possess excellent customer service skills and phone etiquette.
- Knowledge and skill of Microsoft office software, including Word and Excel.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to follow detailed verbal and written instruction.
- Ability to communicate with other employees and the general public in a courteous and diplomatic manner.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
Physical Demands & Additional Information
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear and taste or smell. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Must be able to lift or move over 25 lbs. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified in this position.
Job offer and continuation of employment with the City of Leander is contingent upon:
- Proof of education, certification(s) and experience as listed on the employment application based on the job posting requirements.
- Satisfactory results from a pre-employment criminal history background and driving record check.
- Legal authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship. *
- Compliance with the Selective Service Registration for male US citizens and immigrants, who are ages 18-25.
*The City of Leander participates in E-Verify! Information from each new employee’s Form I-9 will be provided to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to confirm work authorization.
The City of Leander is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information in employment.
Applicants should communicate requests for disability-related accommodations during the application process to our Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or 512-528-2708. Deaf and hard of hearing applicants may contact our office via Relay Texas at 7-1-1 or 1-800-735- 2989 (TTY/TDD).