Posting Title: Cybersecurity Architect
Job Requisition Number: COA089075
Position Number: 105425
Job Type: Full-Time
Division Name: Information Technology Service
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, plus four (4) years of related experience, including one (1) year of experience which were in personnel, project, or program management.
- Graduation with a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university may substitute for experience up to two (2) years.
- Experience may substitute for education up to four (4) years.
- Industry certifications may be considered as substitution for education.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
Notes to Applicants:
Working with Austin Water provides a number of benefits including medical, paid leave time, a great retirement plan, training opportunities and more! Click HERE for more information.
When completing the City of Austin employment application:
- Please be sure to detail on the application all previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- A detailed, complete employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Be sure to provide job title and employment dates for all jobs you wish to be considered.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED, undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution and proof of your professional licenses or certifications.
- If you are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
- A criminal background investigation is required.
- All Austin Water employees are prohibited from accepting or engaging in any secondary employment that might conflict or interfere with an employee’s duty and responsibility to the Department.
- Austin Water must review all secondary employment.
- Employees are required to submit a Secondary Employment Application for review and approval upon being hired with Austin Water, as well as current Austin Water employees considering secondary employment.
Effective October 1, 2014, all Austin Water worksite locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any AW worksite – including construction sites, parking lot, garage or in any personal vehicle located on the premises.
Pay Range: $47.51 – $61.76
Hours: Monday – Friday; 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. with possible after-hours work per business needs.
Job Close Date: 05/25/2023
Type of Posting: External
Department: Austin Water Utility
Grant Funded or Pooled Position: Not Applicable
Location: Waller Creek Center, 625 E. 10th St., Austin , TX
- Supervisory or team leadership experience with strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience working for a utility, government, or similarly regulated entity.
- Experience implementing the NIST framework.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities: Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Provides leadership and manages the development and delivery of information security and privacy standards, architecture, and systems to provide information security and privacy guidance across one or more departments.
- Manages incident response and business continuity procedures to respond to and recover from information security and privacy incidents.
- Evaluates and selects information security applications and systems.
- Implements processes and methods for auditing and addressing non-compliance to information security and privacy standards; recommends mitigation of non-compliant environments.
- Manages and participates in the planning and implementation of security and privacy administration for all information security and privacy projects.
- Makes recommendations and oversees the implementation of changes to work methods and procedures to make them more effective or to strengthen information security and privacy measures.
- Aligns information security and privacy tasks to the priorities established by the City or the information security program; monitors assets to detect security and privacy vulnerabilities and incidents.
- Assists management in stakeholder engagements, resource acquisition, strategic planning, interdepartmental collaboration, and office development.
- Functions as business partner; builds business relationships with stakeholder representatives; and frequently interacts with representatives to discuss information security and privacy risk, incident response, policies, controls, and training.
- Establishes strategic goals that support the department’s or City-wide objectives by gathering pertinent business, financial, service, and operations information; identifying and evaluating trends and options; choosing a course of action; defining objectives; and evaluating outcomes.
- Oversees and manages contract compliance.
Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
- May be responsible for the full range of supervisory activities: selection, training, evaluation, counseling, and recommendation for dismissal.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and Local laws and ordinances and other requirements governing technology, security, privacy, and risk.
- Knowledge of computer networks, hardware, and software, including applications and programming.
- Knowledge of the practical application of information security and/or privacy architecture and engineering, including applying principles, techniques, procedures, and tools to the design and implementation guidance of security and privacy controls.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in oral and written communication tailoring to stakeholder needs.
- Skill in planning and organizing.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Skill in handling conflict and uncertain situations.
- Skill in using computers and related software applications.
- Skill in ensuring complex application, process, or configuration information is documented and maintained.
- Skill in installing and maintaining applications, operating systems, or equipment.
- Skill in providing technical support in a variety of work environments.
- Skill in adapting communication styles to maximize amount and quality of information.
- Ability to collaborate and compile clear and concise reports.
- Ability to take initiative and seek innovative solutions.
- Ability to communicate complex information clearly and effectively to various audiences.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective communication and working relationships with City personnel, vendors, contract service providers, and the public.
- Ability to cooperate with others by sharing information, presenting ideas and concerns, and asking and answering questions.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to work, collaborate, and, when required, lead in a team environment.
- Ability to perform complex information security and privacy analysis, audits, reviews, and other logistics requirements and performance reporting.
- Ability to document and flowchart computer-based systems.
- Ability to understand audit data, documents, and reports.
- Ability to facilitate and deliver training.
- Ability to process information, commit to definite course of action, and maintain composure.
- Ability to perform self-management behaviors in conscious and productive way.
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service at all times.
- Ability to maintain highest standards of conduct, integrity, and professionalism in all matters.
- Ability to exercise tact, objective judgment, and effective conflict resolution skills when confronted with confrontational or adversarial situations.
- Ability to continuously learn and grow through the development of new skills, pursuit of applicable professional certifications, and involvement in professional organizations.
Criminal Background Investigation: This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
EEO/ADA: City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or Texas Relay by dialing 7-1-1.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual’s AIDS, AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * The minimum qualifications for the Cybersecurity Architect position requires: Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, plus four (4) years of related experience, including one (1) year of experience which were in personnel, project, or program management. Graduation with a Master's degree from an accredited college or university may substitute for experience up to two (2) years. Experience may substitute for education up to four (4) years. Industry certifications may be considered as substitution for education. Do you meet these qualifications?
- * How many years of experience do you have in a personnel, project, or program management/lead position?
- 0-2 years
- 2-5 years
- 5 years or more
- * Which security certification(s) do you have? Select all that apply.
- Certification in progress
- * How many years of experience do you have working for a utility, government, or similarly regulated entity?
- Less than 5 years
- 5 - 10 years
- 10 or more years
- * How many years of experience do you have with implementing NIST Framework?
- Less than 5 years
- 5 - 10 years
- 10 or more years
- * How many years of experience do you have implementing and managing firewalls?
- Less than 2 years
- 2 - 5 years
- 5 years or more
- * This position requires a criminal background check. By selecting the following, you are acknowledging that you understand if you are selected as a top candidate for this position, you will need a successful CBI to be hired.
- I acknowledge and understand this position requires a Criminal Background Check.
- * Were you referred to this opportunity by an Austin Water employee? If yes, please provide the employee’s full name.
- (Open Ended Question)