Job Posting Title:
Data Security Engineer, Data to Insights Initiative
Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost
Position Open To:
Weekly Scheduled Hours:
Earliest Start Date:
Expected to Continue Until Dec 31, 2025
The Data to Insights (D2I) Initiative at UT Austin is an investment to build a trusted, integrated, and scalable information infrastructure that transforms complex UT data into valued insights for data-informed decisions.
As a team member in the Data to Insights (D2I) Initiative, you will work with a cross-campus team using the latest cloud technologies to build a next-generation data ecosystem that will improve decision-making and advance the university’s mission. We believe the best ideas arise from collaborative work among colleagues from varied backgrounds and experiences. We actively seek diversity of viewpoint and perception in our student, faculty, and staff recruiting and retention practices. If you’re the type of person who loves to learn and wants to know your work has meaning, you may find your career home at UT Austin. Please note that this position is currently funded through December 31, 2025.
The University of Texas at Austin provides an outstanding benefits package to staff, including:
- Competitive health benefits (Employee premiums covered at 100%; family premiums at 50%)
- Vision, dental, life, and disability insurance options
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays
- Teachers Retirement System of Texas (a defined benefit retirement plan)
- Additional voluntary retirement programs: tax sheltered annuity 403(b) and a deferred compensation program 457(b)
- Flexible spending account options for medical and childcare expenses
- Training and conference opportunities
- Tuition assistance
- Athletic ticket discounts
- Access to UT Austin's libraries and museums
- Free rides on all UT Shuttle and Capital Metro buses with staff ID card
For more details, please see: https://hr.utexas.edu/prospective/benefits and https://hr.utexas.edu/current/services/my-total-rewards
This position requires you to maintain internet service and a mobile phone with voice and data plans to be used when required for work.
This position provides life/work balance with typically a 40-hour work week and travel generally limited to training (e.g., conferences/courses).
- Collaborate with other technical teams to analyze security vectors and identify vulnerabilities within systems
- Establish, implement and maintain rigorous security standards for UT data platforms including regular audits for data access and scanning for sensitive data and PII
- Collaborate with other technical teams to establish and implement secure data access procedures at multiples tiers of UT data architecture including data lake, relational databases, enterprise data warehouse and business intelligence tools
- Monitors and identify anomalous activity in UT data platforms and initiate appropriate review and response for atypical activity
- Author and publish reports, dashboards and other visual representations of user and data platform activity
- Partner with UT enterprise data management, data platform, information technology, and information security teams to establish cohesive and comprehensive solutions
- Establish and document lockdown and other emergency procedures for UT data platforms
At least two years of hands-on experience in the following critical areas:
- Implementation of rigorous security standards and data access processes for complex data ecosystems including Identification of anomalous activity in complex data ecosystems.
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud technology including S3, EC2, Lambda, Athena, RDS, Lake Formation.
- Manage security for database, data warehouse and business intelligence applications.
- Utilize cloud log and other activity data for automated security monitoring with Splunk, CloudWatch, AWS CloudTrail, and Guard Duty, or like tools.
- Vulnerability assessment and penetration testing
- Excellent understanding of technology infrastructures using Firewalls, VPN, Data Loss Prevention, IDS/IPS, Web-Proxy and Security Audits.
Demonstrated experience with the following:
- Manage identity management functions for data access within a complex active directory, and AWS identity management systems.
- Design and implement fine-grained data access solutions including row and column level security.
- Manage cloud network security tools including firewalls, Virtual Private Clouds (VPC) and encryption protocols for data in-flight and at-rest.
- Creating and publishing dashboards and other visual representations of user and data platform activity.
- Proficiency with at least one programming language (Python, C++, Java, Ruby, Node, Go and/or Power Shell)
- Network security best practices
Excellent communication skills including presentations to peers and executives, ability to build effective partnerships with stakeholders. Relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.
Relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.
2-year experience with secure network architectures. AWS Security or other related professional security certifications
$116,766 + depending on qualifications
- May work around standard office conditions
- Repetitive use of a keyboard at a workstation
- Use of manual dexterity
- Location up to 100% remote at employee discretion with office work environment also an option. Majority of team is located in Austin, TX, and working remotely with infrequent in-office presence.
- 3 work references with their contact information; at least one reference should be from a supervisor
- Letter of interest
Important for applicants who are NOT current university employees or contingent workers: You will be prompted to submit your resume the first time you apply, then you will be provided an option to upload a new Resume for subsequent applications. Any additional Required Materials (letter of interest, references, etc.) will be uploaded in the Application Questions section; you will be able to multi-select additional files. Before submitting your online job application, ensure that ALL Required Materials have been uploaded. Once your job application has been submitted, you cannot make changes.
Important for Current university employees and contingent workers: As a current university employee or contingent worker, you MUST apply within Workday by searching for Find UT Jobs. If you are a current University employee, log-in to Workday, navigate to your Worker Profile, click the Career link in the left hand navigation menu and then update the sections in your Professional Profile before you apply. This information will be pulled in to your application. The application is one page and you will be prompted to upload your resume. In addition, you must respond to the application questions presented to upload any additional Required Materials (letter of interest, references, etc.) that were noted above.
Regular staff who have been employed in their current position for the last six continuous months are eligible for openings being recruited for through University-Wide or Open Recruiting, to include both promotional opportunities and lateral transfers. Staff who are promotion/transfer eligible may apply for positions without supervisor approval.
Retirement Plan Eligibility:
The retirement plan for this position is Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS), subject to the position being at least 20 hours per week and at least 135 days in length.
A criminal history background check will be required for finalist(s) under consideration for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
The University of Texas at Austin, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
The University of Texas at Austin will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
Employment Eligibility Verification:
If hired, you will be required to complete the federal Employment Eligibility Verification I-9 form. You will be required to present acceptable and original documents to prove your identity and authorization to work in the United States. Documents need to be presented no later than the third day of employment. Failure to do so will result in loss of employment at the university.
The University of Texas at Austin use E-Verify to check the work authorization of all new hires effective May 2015. The university’s company ID number for purposes of E-Verify is 854197. For more information about E-Verify, please see the following:
- E-Verify Poster (English) [PDF]
- E-Verify Poster (Spanish) [PDF]
- Right To Work Poster (English) [PDF]
- Right To Work Poster (Spanish) [PDF]
Employees may be required to report violations of law under Title IX and the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act). If this position is identified a Campus Security Authority (Clery Act), you will be notified and provided resources for reporting. Responsible employees under Title IX are defined and outlined in HOP-3031.
The Clery Act requires all prospective employees be notified of the availability of the Annual Security and Fire Safety report. You may access the 2021 report here or obtain a copy at University Compliance Services, 1616 Guadalupe, Suite UTA 2.206, Austin, TX 78701.