Job Posting Title:
Data Visualization Analyst
Office of the President
Position Open To:
Weekly Scheduled Hours:
Earliest Start Date:
Nov 09, 2022
Expected to Continue Until Dec 31, 2025
UT MAIN CAMPUS
The Data to Insights (D2I) Initiative at UT Austin is an investment to build a trusted, integrated, and scalable information infrastructure that transforms complex UT data into valued insights for data-informed decisions.
As a team member in the Data to Insights (D2I) Initiative, you will work with a cross-campus team using the latest cloud technologies to build a next-generation data ecosystem that will improve decision-making and advance the university’s mission. We believe the best ideas arise from collaborative work among colleagues from varied backgrounds and experiences. We actively seek diversity of viewpoint and perception in our student, faculty, and staff recruiting and retention practices. If you’re the type of person who loves to learn and wants to know your work has meaning, you may find your career home at UT Austin. Please note that this position is currently funded through December 31, 2025.
The University of Texas at Austin provides an outstanding benefits package to staff, including:
· Competitive health benefits (Employee premiums covered at 100%; family premiums at 50%)
· Vision, dental, life, and disability insurance options
· Paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays
· Teachers Retirement System of Texas (a defined benefit retirement plan)
· Additional voluntary retirement programs: tax sheltered annuity 403(b) and a deferred compensation program 457(b)
· Flexible spending account options for medical and childcare expenses
· Training and conference opportunities
· Tuition assistance
· Athletic ticket discounts
· Access to UT Austin's libraries and museums
· Free rides on all UT Shuttle and Capital Metro buses with staff ID card
For more details, please see: https://hr.utexas.edu/prospective/benefits and https://hr.utexas.edu/current/services/my-total-rewards
This position requires you to maintain internet service and a mobile phone with voice and data plans to be used when required for work.
This position provides life/work balance with typically a 40-hour work week and travel generally limited to training (e.g., conferences/courses).
We are seeking a Data Visualization Analyst to join the D2I Analytics team. As a Data Visualization Analyst, you develop and build high-quality, nuanced, and timely data analytics to empower strategic decisions and policies by University leadership and stakeholders. This position focuses on creating interactive analytics and data visualizations in BI platforms such as Tableau or AWS QuickSight.
- Data Visualization & Analysis: Processes, transforms, analyzes, interprets, builds, and disseminates data into meaningful, eye-catching, and consumable data visualizations, reports, dashboards, and other tools to support University decision-making. Applies advanced coding, Tableau, data visualization techniques, and other analytical skills to translate business logic and produce deliverables in response to routine and non-routine data requests. Collaborates intensively with functional and analytics architecture/engineering partners to understand business requirements and business logic. Builds tools best-suited to meet business requirements and provide an optimal user experience. Implements consistent branding and aesthetic style across deliverables. Contributes to the management of end-user authorizations and implements federal and institutional data governance policies. Develops and manages training materials and sessions to teach end-users how to best interact with and interpret analytics. Engages in best methodological and design practices in data analytics and data visualization – including robust validation processes, testing/deployment procedures, user experience quality checks, thorough documentation, and aesthetic guidelines. Applies creativity and flexibility to finding solutions for new institutional data challenges. Assists with special projects and ad hoc data requests as needed.
- Collaboration, Communication, & Institutional Knowledge: Works both independently and collaboratively with cross-functional teams to develop exceptional data products to meet university needs. Participates in the Data Project Lifecycle – from conception, requirements gathering and design, documentation, development and testing through deployment. Engages and communicates with partners and stakeholders to manage requests, expectations, and deliverables. Effectively communicates project status, progress, risks, and issues to drive project to completion. Develops an in-depth knowledge of university data processes. Handles confidential information with tact and discretion. Implements best practices for data governance, data management, project management, and version control.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree with quantitative experience (e.g., social sciences, statistics, applied mathematics, economics, etc.), or at least 2 years of professional experience with data visualization and interpretation of data. Demonstrated ability to synthesize complex and/or ambiguous information from multiple sources using a variety of tools and techniques, transforming that information into consumable analytics and visualizations for technical and non-technical audiences. Demonstrated application of data viz best practices (including chart types, layout, and use of color). Experience with Tableau or similar BI tools, and working knowledge of SQL, R, or other languages to query large databases, manipulate and analyze data. Excellent interpersonal skills to positively contribute to collaborative team, influence without authority, and thoughtfully and productively give and receive feedback. Proven prioritization and organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously. Excellent written and verbal communication skills, critical thinking and creative problem-solving, documentation habits, and attention to detail. Demonstrated ability to maintain a high level of professionalism.
Relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.
Master’s degree with data visualization, information design, or other analytics experience. 2 or more years of experience with Tableau, and demonstrated expertise in advanced Tableau functionality including table calculations, level of detail calculations, parameters, and dashboard actions. Familiarity with usability and user-centered design principles. Proficiency in using at least one data syntax language (e.g., SQL, R, SPSS, Python). Experience in higher education administration, programming, or analysis. Interest in higher education data, processes, and progress. Familiarity with UT Austin's administrative computing environment. Knowledge of federal education law and policies related to education records. Experience with metadata management software. Experience using Agile methodologies.
$75,000 + depending on qualifications
- Typical office environment
- Repetitive use of a keyboard,
- Occasional extended work hours or on-call obligation
- Up to 100% remote at employee discretion with office work environment also an option. Majority of team is located in Austin, TX, and working remotely with infrequent in-office presence.
- 3 work references with their contact information; at least one reference should be from a supervisor
- Letter of interest
Important for applicants who are NOT current university employees or contingent workers: You will be prompted to submit your resume the first time you apply, then you will be provided an option to upload a new Resume for subsequent applications. Any additional Required Materials (letter of interest, references, etc.) will be uploaded in the Application Questions section; you will be able to multi-select additional files. Before submitting your online job application, ensure that ALL Required Materials have been uploaded. Once your job application has been submitted, you cannot make changes.
Important for Current university employees and contingent workers: As a current university employee or contingent worker, you MUST apply within Workday by searching for Find UT Jobs. If you are a current University employee, log-in to Workday, navigate to your Worker Profile, click the Career link in the left hand navigation menu and then update the sections in your Professional Profile before you apply. This information will be pulled in to your application. The application is one page and you will be prompted to upload your resume. In addition, you must respond to the application questions presented to upload any additional Required Materials (letter of interest, references, etc.) that were noted above.