Digital Graphic Designer
Posting Title: Digital Graphic Designer
Job Requisition Number: COA090863
Position Number: 119088
Job Type: Full-Time
Division Name: Public Information
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four (4) college or university with major coursework in related discipline or certificate in graphic design, plus a minimum of three (3) years of experience related to the job.
- Experience may substitute for the education up to the maximum of four (4) years.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
Notes to Applicants
The Digital Graphic Designer will create graphics and videos for Austin Water’s digital channels, including social media, intranet and website, as well as other design projects as needed. Austin Water seeks a creative and innovative staff member who will work with multiple teams to provide graphic design support. They will travel to multiple work locations throughout Austin Water’s service area to capture photos and video of Austin Water operations to tell the story of how Austin Water serves its 1 million customers every day.
The successful candidate will have a passion for storytelling and willingness to work with diverse teams to find the best ways to tell their story. A focus on customer service and relationship building and ability to work under pressure in emergency situations are required.
Austin Water has a diverse workforce who does interesting work to provide a vital public service. This position brings many fun and creative opportunities to tell their story and provide essential information to our customers about their water and wastewater service.
Working with Austin Water provides a number of benefits including medical, paid leave time, a great retirement plan, training opportunities and more! Click HERE for more information.
When completing the City of Austin employment application:
- Please be sure to detail on the application all previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- A detailed, complete employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Be sure to provide job title and employment dates for all jobs you wish to be considered.
- A resume is required but will not substitute for a complete employment application. Please do not use the phrase “see resume” or refer to other documents to complete your application. Do not leave the “Duties and Responsibilities” sections blank. These will be considered incomplete applications. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- At least three samples of your graphic design work, photography or video, or a portfolio link are required. These must be submitted under the category for “Other Documents.”
If you are selected to interview:
Candidates selected to interview will receive information and instructions for preparing a short presentation to be given at the time of the interview.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED, undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution and proof of your professional licenses or certifications.
- If you are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
If you are selected for this position and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
- All Austin Water employees are prohibited from accepting or engaging in any secondary employment that might conflict or interfere with an employee’s duty and responsibility to the Department.
- Austin Water must review all secondary employment.
- Employees are required to submit a Secondary Employment Application for review and approval upon being hired with Austin Water, as well as current Austin Water employees considering secondary employment.
Effective October 1, 2014, all Austin Water worksite locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any AW worksite – including construction sites, parking lot, garage or in any personal vehicle located on the premises.
Pay Range: $28.04 – $34.34
Hours: Monday – Friday, with limited flexibility. Other hours as business needs require.
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Job Close Date: 02/01/2024
Type of Posting: External
Department: Austin Water Utility
Grant Funded or Pooled Position: Not Applicable
Location: Waller Creek Center, 625 E. 10th St. Austin, TX 78701
- Experience creating muti-media graphics and short-form videos for social media and other digital platforms
- Demonstrated expertise in photography, photo editing and video production
- Experience developing visuals to convey complex or technical information
- Understanding of accessibility considerations for design
- Ability to travel to more than one work location
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities:
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Creates comprehensive design strategies and packages tailored to customer needs
- Designs and produces websites, motion graphics, style guides, advertisements, promotional materials, print collateral, illustrations, logos, and photography for a wide variety of marketing materials and platforms
- Assists with web and social media presence, development, appearance and updates
- Monitors and coordinates all stages of production to complete projects
- Advises and consults with vendors producing bid specifications, documentation, and contracts for vendors
- Assists in the planning and development of digital advertising, promotional campaigns and strategies
- Acts as art director and liaison for individual projects and client programs
- Assists with the development of long range strategic marketing plans
- Researches best practices, emerging technology, user behavior, interface content, and industry and cultural trends
- Acts as a steward of the brand look and feel and ensures that all creative broadcast across all channels lives up to the highest quality of the City’s visual standards
- Collaborates with stakeholders to effectively drive communications and to ensure consistency of brand identity
- Works within the content management system to implement and maintain a consistent and engaging visual web presence
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
- May provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training, and guidance to others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of marketing practices and procedures, design principles, and media industries
- Knowledge of content management systems; Drupal experience preferred.
- Knowledge of current and emerging web publishing standards and best practices related to accessibility, usability and writing for the web
- Knowledge of multimedia formats related to audio, video, and interactive technologies
- Knowledge of user-centered design process, specifically related to accessibility and Web standards
- Skill in design, illustrations, infographics and data visualizations
- Skill in typography, color and layout composition
- Skill in analytical and conceptual approaches to design
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in project management to assist project managers in work estimates and planning
- Ability to craft graphic elements, assets, and visual treatments that adapt and flow with responsive design systems
- Ability to manage multiple projects and remain flexible through multiple revisions from concept to completion while keeping a keen attention to detail
- Ability to manage time and schedules
- Ability to work on projects of all scales and types, both collaboratively and independently
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other city employees and the public as well as to work collaboratively with marketing, development, and project management specialists
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities
- Ability to articulate design rationale, user-understanding and empathy and an understanding of brand
- Ability to work with Adobe Creative Cloud
Criminal Background Investigation
This position does not require a Criminal Background Investigation
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or Texas Relay by dialing 7-1-1.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual’s AIDS, AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * This position requires graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four (4) college or university with major coursework in related discipline or certificate in graphic design, plus a minimum of three (3) years of experience related to the job. Experience may substitute for the education up to the maximum of four (4) years. Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
- * How many years of experience do you have creating multi-media graphics and short videos for social media and other digital platforms?
- Less than 3 years
- 3 - 6 years
- More than 6 years
- * How many years of experience do you have taking and editing photos for an organization?
- Less than 3 years
- 3 - 6 years
- More than 6 years
- * How many years of experience do you have creating illustrations for digital platforms?
- Less than 3 years
- 3 - 6 years
- More than 6 years
- * Do you have the ability to travel to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties?
- * Were you referred to this opportunity by an Austin Water employee? If yes, please provide the employee’s full name.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Include at least three samples of your graphic design work, photography or video, or a portfolio link submitted as "Other Documents."
- I have included at least three samples of my previous work submitted as "Other Documents."
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter
- Other Document