Energy Systems Ops Trainer
LCRA (Lower Colorado River Authority)Austin, Texas1M ago
At a senior level, designs, delivers and coordinates technical and operational training on various aspects of operating either a transmission operations center (e.g. switching procedures and scenarios, load flow analysis, etc) OR a Qualified Scheduling Entity (ERCOT) and a Generator Operator (NERC). Responsible for developing a strategic training plan and implementing a training curriculum that prepares staff to comply with LCRA, ERCOT and NERC guidelines and requirements. This position utilizes in-depth knowledge of best practices and experience in own discipline to provide and improve services. Takes a new perspective to solve complex problems. Works independently and receives minimal guidance. Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience. May direct the work of other staff members.
- Designs and delivers customized training programs. Creates realistic simulations, tests, training manuals and comprehensive learning modules using various technologies (i.e. Energy Management System simulator, Generation Management System PDS, and Market Application Test Platforms).
- Researches and incorporates ERCOT protocols & guidelines, NERC policies & procedures, LCRA policies, and other departmental policies & procedures (i.e. LCRA Switching Procedures, System Operations Procedures, FERM policies & procedures, and GenDesk procedures) into all training programs and simulations.
- Coordinates with engineering, planning, field operations and technical support staff to address operational issues such as equipment outages, scheduled maintenance, operational procedures, and safety into training curriculum. Serves on internal committees as assigned.
- In accordance with approved Supply Management processes and procedures, researches, recommends and purchases externally developed training programs and resources.
- Develops and maintains departmental procedures including modification as necessary to ensure ERCOT and NERC compliance. Maintains training records and other associated documentation.
- Prepares staff to pass the ERCOT and NERC certification tests. Ensures other applicable ERCOT and NERC training is completed by staff.
- Assists with planned and unplanned ERCOT, NERC and TRE audit responses as related to assigned area of responsibility.
- Performs work by traveling independently or with other staff to various locations (substations, power plants, etc.) as necessary to deliver field-based training curriculum for System Operations Control Center assignment.
- May make field trips to customer sites to provide training and public relations for LCRA in the assigned area of responsibility. Trains LCRA field staff on relevant operational procedures.
- May occasionally serve as a back-up to support departmental needs (e.g. assist with real time energy trading duties).
This general overview only includes essential functions of the job and does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by supervisor or management.
Preferred Qualifications --
Working in Transmission Operations at LCRA is working in the heart of the electric grid in Texas.
The successful candidate must demonstrate the capability to contribute to a dynamic team that is instrumental in growing the skills of our transmission operators, training the next generation of system operators and operations engineers, driving continuous improvement, and creating automated solutions to solve operational challenges.
Minimal Qualifications --
Nine or more years of experience in design, delivery and implementation of technical training; experience with NERC and ERCOT protocols and procedures. A degree(s) in education, engineering, electrical theory or relevant field may be substituted per LCRA guidelines for certain years of experience.
Driver’s license required for System Operations Control Center