Engineer A, B, or C (Wastewater Collection Systems)
City of Austin WaterAustin, Texas6d ago
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities: Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Identify, evaluate, and provide improvement recommendations with preliminary and final designs and design criteria for assigned program or projects. Provides assistance in the preparation of preliminary and long range plans, schedules, estimates, budgets, detailed final plans, specifications, special conditions and agreements.
- Develop cost estimates/track expenditures, prepares cost estimates and engineering and feasibility reports and studies for projects. Prepares and/or provides assistance with preliminary contract documents, specifications and plans. Prepares final plans, specifications, special conditions and agreements and coordinates and oversees work of contractors, affected public agencies and utilities. Writes technical specifications for construction contracts.
- Develop, analyze, and provide recommendation of engineering reports for a variety of audiences.
- Inspect and monitor projects for legal compliance by reviewing work completed by contractors and ensuring compliance to specifications by completing complex calculations that are used to further provide analysis of preliminary results of a project.
- Conduct field inspections of work done by contractors to ensure compliance with plans and specifications. Drafts and recommends approval of contract change orders
- Research and perform statistical analysis for validation of reports and publication of results in various communication formats
- Develop standard operating procedures, policies, and ordinances for discipline area by researching, reviewing, analyzing and updating standardized policies and practices.
- Develop and monitor performance criteria for various contracts and/or projects. May provide analysis and recommendation of performance of various personnel assigned by contract or projects.
Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised: None.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of diversified, fundamental scientific and civil engineering concepts, phenomena, and relationships, and utilize such changes in solution of theoretical or practical civil engineering problems;
- Knowledge of advanced mathematical techniques such as trigonometry, calculus, and coordinate geometry
- Knowledge of modern methods, materials, and techniques of assigned discipline
- Knowledge of one or more of the following disciplines: Civil,Environmental, Structural, Architectural, Mechanical and/or Electrical engineering terminology and techniques.
- Knowledge of City of Austin purchasing and contract policies and procedures
- Knowledge of applicability of established engineering principles and methods.
- Knowledge of phases of the plans review and inspections processes.
- Knowledge of applicable computer software programs
- Knowledge of preparation of cost estimates and engineering and feasibility reports
- Skill in oral and written technical and/or general communication including preparation of written reports
- Ability to perform more complex engineering computations, calculus, geometry, and trigonometry, rapidly and accurately.
- Ability to interpret and update maps.
- Ability to interpret and make decisions in conformance within established policies and practices.
- Ability to communicate and provide direction to peers and assigned personnel
- Ability to organize, analyze, interpret, and evaluate scientific civil engineering problems and provide practical, cost effective solutions;
- Ability to observe, compares, or monitors objects and data to determine compliance with prescribed operating or safety standards.
- Ability to use graphic instructions, such as blue prints, schematic drawings, layouts, or other visual aids.
- Ability to use a personal computer, engineering applications, and data
- management software.
Minimum Qualifications: Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Engineering or in a field related to the job, plus four (4) years engineering experience acquired either before and/or after licensing as a professional engineer
Licenses and Certifications Required: Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) in the State of Texas
- Bachelor of Science or higher in Environmental, or Water Resources Engineering
- Experience in the design and construction of underground utilities
- Experience and/or ability to respond to wastewater collection system emergencies and develop construction solutions that protect the public and construction workers, minimize impacts to the driving public, and provide long-term improvements to the collection system
- Strong technical writing, presentation, and communications skills
- Ability to traverse rugged terrain to reach wastewater collection system components that are located in remote areas, with or without reasonable accommodation
- Ability to be part of a rotation of staff on call for emergency to Sanitary Sewer Overflow response 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Ability to travel to more than one work location