Environmental Compliance Specialist Senior
Posting Title: Environmental Compliance Specialist Senior
Job Requisition Number: COA089924
Position Number: 109742
Job Type: Full-Time
Division Name: Utility Development Services
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Environmental Science, Life Science, Natural Science, or related field, plus six (6) years of relevant experience.
- Graduation with a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university may substitute for two (2) years of the required experience
- One (1) additional year of experience may substitute for one (1) year of the required education with a maximum substitution of four (4) years.
Licenses or Certifications:
- May require a valid State of Texas Class C Driver License and the ability to meet driver eligibility standards detailed in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program.
Notes to Applicants:
Additional duties and functions specific to the position may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Investigate instances of sewage on the ground involving onsite sewage facilities
- Conduct construction inspections of onsite sewage facilities
- Coordinate and/or conduct investigations of failing on-site sewage facilities
- Analyze, query, and manage data from the City’s Geographical Information System and licensed tracking software(s)
- Identify, develop, and gather information in support of enforcement cases
- Serve as expert witness in appearance hearings and trials
- Provide technical information and assistance to internal and external customers
- Review and interpret policies, codes, regulations, ordinances, plans, and proposals for compliance
- Participate in and/or lead city wide initiatives, task forces, and committees
This position inspects onsite sewage facilities (OSSF) and issues notices of violation. Per Title 30 of the Texas Administrative Code Section 285.50 a person enforcing State regulation and the regulations of the Authorized Agent (Austin Water Utilities) must hold a current Designated Representative (DR) license. Therefore, the ability to obtain an OSSF Designated Representative license within six (6) months of employment is necessary.
This position conducts plumbing inspections on behalf of the city. Inspections are required to ensure that the plumbing installations needed during the OSSF abandonment process (i.e. plumbing to connect a structure to Austin Water’s collection system) meet local and state requirements. Per the Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners, a Plumbing Inspector license is needed to inspect plumbing work performed within the jurisdiction of any political subdivision with which the inspector is affiliated. An affiliation is established if the inspector is employed by, or under contract with, a political subdivision to perform plumbing inspections. An affiliated Plumbing Inspector may not have a financial or advisory interest in any plumbing company. Therefore, the ability to obtain a Plumbing Inspector license within six (6) months of employment is necessary for the incumbent to complete essential job functions.
Working with Austin Water provides a number of benefits including medical, paid leave time, a great retirement plan, training opportunities and more! Click HERE for more information.
When completing the City of Austin employment application:
- Please be sure to detail on the application all previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- A detailed, complete employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Be sure to provide job title and employment dates for all jobs you wish to be considered.
- A resume is required but will not substitute for a complete employment application. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please include contact information from previous employers.
- A cover letter is also required. In the cover letter, candidates should describe in concise detail their interest in this position and highlight any prior experience that is relevant to this position.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED, undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution and proof of your professional licenses or certifications.
- If you are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
- A criminal background investigation is required.
- All Austin Water employees are prohibited from accepting or engaging in any secondary employment that might conflict or interfere with an employee’s duty and responsibility to the Department.
- Austin Water must review all secondary employment.
- Employees are required to submit a Secondary Employment Application for review and approval upon being hired with Austin Water, as well as current Austin Water employees considering secondary employment.
Driving Requirement: This position requires a Valid Texas Driver License or the ability to acquire one by your hire date. External New Hires must meet the City of Austin’s Driver Record Evaluation (DRE) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months.
Effective October 1, 2014, all Austin Water worksite locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any AW worksite – including construction sites, parking lot, garage or in any personal vehicle located on the premises.
Pay Range: $31.65 – $39.56
- Monday through Friday from 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM
- May work other hours to meet business needs
- Hybrid work schedule may be available
Job Close Date: 09/20/2023
Type of Posting: External
Department: Austin Water Utility
Grant Funded or Pooled Position: Not Applicable
Location: 6310 Wilhelmina Delco Dr, Austin, TX 78752
- Experience inspecting onsite and decentralized wastewater treatment facilities and wastewater connections
- Demonstrated knowledge of wastewater treatment design
- Experience managing code compliance issues
- Experience using geographic information systems, work order and case management systems such as HANSEN, AMANDA, or similar software applications
- Experience applying the City of Austin Land Development Code, the Texas Administrative Code regarding onsite sewage facilities, and the City of Austin or State of Texas water and wastewater regulations
- Experience analyzing, interpreting, and managing large volumes of data
- Experience interpreting technical data, policies and procedures to a wide audience including citizens, plumbers, and contractors
- Current Designated Representative (DR) license or the ability to obtain one within six months of hire
- Current Plumbing Inspector License from the Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners or the ability to obtain one within six months of hire
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities: Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Coordinates, directs, and/or conducts investigations and surveys related to environmental issues and programs.
- Issues directives and performs enforcement actions for non-compliance with code and/or regulations.
- Develops sampling protocol and standard operating procedures.
- Responds to and directs spills and complaint actions.
- Provides technical information and assistance to internal and external customers.
- Develops and implements rules, code changes, and training programs.
- Implements permitting and registration programs.
- Reviews and interprets policies, codes, regulations, ordinances, plans, and proposals for compliance.
- Researches, develops, presents, and/or submits incident, inspection, and technical reports/cases to appropriate agency/personnel.
- Participates in and/or leads City-wide initiatives, task forces, and committees.
- Resolves appeals of permit denials.
Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
May provide leadership, guidance, and technical support to others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of applicable processes, techniques, and methods.
- Knowledge of City practices, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge of supervisory and managerial techniques and principles.
- Skill in handling conflict and uncertain situations.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in using computers and related software applications.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective communication and working relationships with City employees and the public.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to train others.
Criminal Background Investigation: This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
EEO/ADA: City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or Texas Relay by dialing 7-1-1.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual’s AIDS, AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * The minimum qualifications for the Environmental Compliance Specialist Senior are graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Environmental Science, Life Science, Natural Science, or related field, plus six (6) years of relevant experience. Graduation with a Master's degree from an accredited college or university may substitute for two (2) years of the required experience. One (1) additional year of experience may substitute for one (1) year of the required education with a maximum substitution of four (4) years. Do you meet the minimum qualifications as described?
- * Do you have experience inspecting onsite sewage facilities or decentralized wastewater treatment facilities?
- * Do you have experience designing wastewater treatment facilities?
- * Do you have experience interpreting and enforcing state and local regulations related to building, environmental, or plumbing issues?
- * Do you hold a Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners Plumbing Inspector license, or have the ability to obtain within six (6) months of employment?
- I currently hold a Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners Plumbing Inspector license
- I do not currently hold a Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners Plumbing Inspector license, but can obtain within six (6) months of employment
- I am not able to obtain a Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners Plumbing Inspector license within six (6) months of employment
- * Do you have a Designated Representative license, or the ability to obtain one within six (6) months of employment?
- I currently hold a Designated Representative (DR) license
- I do not currently hold a Designated Representative (DR) license, but can obtain within six (6) months of employment
- I am not able to obtain a Designated Representative (DR) license within six (6) months of employment
- * This position requires a valid Texas Driver License. Do you have a valid Texas Driver License or if selected for this position, do you have the ability to acquire a valid Texas Driver License by your hire date?
- * The City of Austin Driver Eligibility Standards require that External New Hires meet the City’s Driver Record Evaluation (DRE) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months. Do you meet this requirement?
- * This position requires a criminal background check. By selecting the following, you are acknowledging that you understand if you are selected as a top candidate for this position, you will need a successful CBI to be hired.
- I acknowledge and understand this position requires a Criminal Background Check.
- * Were you referred to this opportunity by an Austin Water employee? If yes, please provide the employee’s full name.
- (Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter