Click here to view additional details or positions at Austin Water, or to apply for this position.
Working with Austin Water provides a number of health and welfare benefits such as low-cost medical, dental, vision, paid leave time, a highly competitive retirement plan, training opportunities, and more. Please click here for more information on benefits.
The person in this position will participate in wildland fire management activities on Wildland Conservation Division projects, as directed by the Environmental Program Coordinator. Duties will include assistance with the preparation and implementation of prescribed fires, the maintenance and transportation of prescribed fire equipment, and the performance of fire effects monitoring during and after implementation of prescribed fires. Duties may also include oversight, planning, or implementation of wildland fuels reduction projects using staff or contract personnel; coordination with infrastructure providers to minimize wildfire risks, assistance with the collection and analysis of data related to wildfire mitigation efforts and fire activity on and near wildlands; participation in communication and cooperation with partner agencies; assisting the Environmental Program Coordinator with the provision of staff training and instruction regarding prescribed fire or fuels reduction techniques and concepts; engagement with stakeholders to increase awareness and understanding of wildfire risks and proactive mitigation measures; assisting with developing and delivering education/outreach materials. The person in this position is expected to operate vehicles and tow trailers routinely.
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Forestry, Urban Forestry, Arboriculture or related field.
- Experience may substitute for the education up to the maximum of four (4) years.
Licenses or Certifications:
- Valid Texas Class “C” Driver’s License
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and exercise initiative.
- Previous completion of, or ability to complete, National Wildfire Coordinating Group Firefighter Type 1 qualification.
- Experience maintaining and operating outdoor power tools (chainsaws, line trimmers, wood chippers) and motorized equipment (farm tractors, compact loaders, all-terrain vehicles)
- Experience towing trailers in urban, rural, or off-road settings.
$19.26 – $24.07
Monday – Friday: 8:00am – 4:00pm
Some hybrid availability
621 S FM 620 Rd, Austin Tx 78738
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.