Human Resources Advisor Senior (Employee Relations)
Posting Title: Human Resources Advisor Senior (Employee Relations)
Job Requisition Number: COA089973
Position Number: 114247
Job Type: Full-Time
Division Name: Employee Relations & Workers C
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in related field, plus four (4) years of HR experience.
- One (1) additional year of experience may substitute for the education up to the maximum of four (4) years.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
Notes to Applicants:
This position will work as part of the Employee Relations HR team at Austin Water, completing workplace investigations and other HR functions. In keeping with the division’s focus on continuous process improvement, this position will be responsible for reviewing and updating existing human resources policies and procedures, under the direction of the HR Supervisor. Strong verbal and written communication skills are critical for this role.
Working with Austin Water provides a number of benefits including medical, paid leave time, a great retirement plan, training opportunities and more! Click HERE for more information.
When completing the City of Austin employment application:
- Please be sure to detail on the application all previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- A detailed, complete employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Be sure to provide job title and employment dates for all jobs you wish to be considered.
- A resume is required, but will not substitute for a complete employment application. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please include contact information from previous employers.
Travel: If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
If you are selected to interview:
- Your skill level in some of the competency areas for this job will be evaluated through a written assessment.
If you are selected for hire:
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED, undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) is required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization or institution. You must also provide proof of your professional licenses or certifications.
- If you are in the military or are a military veteran, you will need to provide a copy of the Member 4 page of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date..
All Austin Water worksite locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any AW worksite – including construction sites, parking lot, garage or in any personal vehicle located on the premises.
Pay Range: $30.14 – $37.68 per hour
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8am – 5pm, with option to telework 2 days a week with manager approval
Job Close Date: 09/24/2023
Type of Posting: External
Department: Austin Water Utility
Grant Funded or Pooled Position: Not Applicable
Location: Waller Creek Center, 625 E. 10th St., Austin, 78701
- Experience in employee complaint resolution and in conducting workplace investigations regarding discrimination, harassment, sexual harassment, employee conduct, and/or retaliation.
- Experience in conflict resolution strategies, including de-escalation, facilitating crucial conversations, mediation, and/or alternative dispute resolution.
- Experience developing and updating policies and procedures, and implementing process improvements.
- Experience with laws and programs related to DOL, FLSA, and Title VII.
- Experience developing and delivering workplace training on human resources topics.
- Experience writing detailed and grammatically correct investigation reports.
- Ability to travel to more than one work location
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities: Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Collaborates and serves as strategic partner with senior leaders and management on HR programmatic analysis, implementation, and administration providing operational oversight, advice, and analytical support.
- Manages and resolves complex HR-related issues and provides solutions to programs and processes, monitoring implementation of agreed upon actions until the problem has been resolved.
- Advises and influences management in making sound HR-related decisions.
- Serves as subject matter expert in providing advice and counsel to management and employee groups on a broad range of HR issues and with applicable regulations, programs, policies, and procedures.
- Interprets and provides guidance on, and interpretation of, applicable systems, policies, procedures, strategies, process work flows, and regulations; and monitors compliance with policies, regulations, laws, and program objectives.
- Identifies, analyzes, and recommends solutions for various HR problems using morale indicators and other personnel measurements, such as, but not limited to, surveys, turnover, and grievances; and presents recommendations for corrective action programs when needed.
- Provides training to managers and supervisors on HR topics and procedures.
- Researches, gathers, analyzes, and evaluates data and information; monitors program trends; reviews and performs quality checks of program-related data; and develops and maintains management reporting to support decision making and policy development.
- Monitors and maintains system data, files, records, and reporting; transmits program data files to vendors; and develops, monitors, and implements information tracking systems.
Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
- May provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training, and guidance to others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and Local laws and ordinances governing personnel activities.
- Knowledge of City practices, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge and practices of HR program administration and management.
- Knowledge of practices and methods of coaching and leading the work of others.
- Knowledge of principles and applications of critical thinking and analysis.
- Knowledge of customer service principles.
- Skill in overseeing the maintenance of HR program/process documentation, data, schedules, records, and files.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in using computers and related software.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Skill in planning and organizing.
- Ability to coordinate deadlines, prioritize work demands and assign/monitor work performed.
- Ability to handle hostility, conflict, and uncertain situations.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to train others.
- Ability to develop and maintain knowledge in assigned specialized HR areas.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public.
Criminal Background Investigation: This position does not require a Criminal Background Investigation
EEO/ADA: City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or Texas Relay by dialing 7-1-1.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual’s AIDS, AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * The minimum requirements for this position include graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a related field, plus four (4) years of HR experience. One (1) additional year of experience may substitute for the education up to the maximum of four (4) years. Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
- * How many years of investigative experience do you have in employee relations?
- Less than one (1) year
- At least one (1) year but less than three (3) years
- At least three (3) years but less than five (5) years
- Five (5) or more years
- * How many years of experience do you have resolving conflict in the workplace?
- 1-3 years
- 3-5 years
- 5 or more years
- * What is your experience developing and delivering workplace training in the field of human resources?
- No experience
- Less than 2 years experience
- More than 2 years but less than 5 years
- 5 years or more
- * Which of the following Human Resources certifications do you hold?
- Current Professional in Human Resources (PHR) or SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP)
- Current Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) or SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP)
- Current IPMA Certified Professional (IPMA-CP) or Senior Certified Professional (IPMA-SCP)
- None of the above
- * Do you have the ability to travel to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties?
- * Were you referred to this opportunity by an Austin Water employee? If yes, please provide the employee’s full name.
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents