This posting will be used to fill two auditor positions. The first auditor position (IT Auditor) will lead information technology audits related to IT infrastructure, security, applications, processes, and operations. This auditor may also conduct traditional audit and consulting projects and investigations. The second auditor position (Internal Auditor) will conduct traditional audit projects, consulting projects, investigations, and will assist with information technology audits.
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Manage complex audits, large projects, or fraud investigations
- Prepare risk assessments of the department or specific processes to be audited
- Plan audits, including objectives, scope, methodologies and audit program
- Collect, review, and analyze various types of information and data that are significant to the project
- Perform interviews of personnel in the course of performing projects
- Perform tests of internal controls to ensure safeguarding of assets, compliance with laws and policies, accomplishment of objectives, reliability of information, and efficiency of operations
- Prepare and review work papers and draft audit reports
- Develop conclusions, recommend improvements and communicate audit results to auditees
- Present audit results to audit committee and/or executive management
- Develop audit policies, procedures, and templates
- Coordinate with other agencies and auditors
- Coach others on audit skills
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
- This position is not responsible for supervising but may lead multiple projects, assign project tasks to others, review tasks performed by others, and coach others
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of the concepts for review and evaluation of internal control systems and auditing procedures
- Knowledge of enterprise risk management methodologies
- Knowledge of and ability to adhere to appropriate professional standards, including the Yellow Book and Red Book
- Knowledge of statistical analysis and principles
- Knowledge of theories, principles, and practices of investigation as well as the ability to apply such knowledge to fraud investigations involving government activities and resources
- Knowledge of performance measurement principles
- Knowledge of audit project management
- Knowledge of City of Austin and departmental auditing policies and procedures (preferred qualification)
- Knowledge of departmental business operations with regards to management practices, internal controls (preferred qualification)
- Knowledge of governmental and/or utility accounting principles (preferred qualification)
- Skilled in effective oral and/or written communication
- Skilled in completing assigned duties and functions in a timely and effective manner
- Skilled in resolving problems or situations requiring the exercise of good judgment
- Skilled in examining financial and operational information systems
- Skilled in identifying, obtaining, and analyzing information from a variety of sources, evaluating facts, and employing sound deductive reasoning to draw appropriate conclusions and make improvement recommendations
- Skilled in compiling information and creating and delivering clear, concise, deductive, and fact-based project reports
- Skilled in the development of the audit scope, objectives and methodology to identify and address risks and meet client needs
- Skilled in developing and executing effective procedures for accomplishing an audit
- Skilled in planning, leading, and coordinating fraud investigation, detection, and control projects
- Skilled in identifying and conceptualizing complex issues, anticipate obstacles and propose solutions to overcome potential problems
- Skilled in establishing and maintaining good working relations with other City employees and the public
- Skilled in flexibility, versatility and effective team building to achieve project goals and objectives
- Ability to maintain integrity, objectivity, and independence and implement appropriate standards of care in all scopes of work.
- Ability to consider alternative ideas or points of view
- Ability to maintain high ethical standards in difficult situations
- Ability to manage project tasks, resources, and timelines in an effective manner for multiple projects at a time
- Ability to recognize the risks inherent to the subject matter of the project
- Ability to coach and train others regarding processes and skills
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and growth through the development of new skills, pursuit of applicable professional certifications, and involvement in professional organizations
- 4 year degree in accounting, business, social sciences, public administration, or related field.
- 4 years relevant experience, including 2 years lead or supervisory experience.
- Masters in related field can substitute for 1 year of experience.
Licenses or Certifications:
- CIA, CGAP, CPA or CFE required.
- Experience working as a government auditor or internal auditor
- Experience leading audits and audit teams
- Experience conducting fraud investigations, internal and IT audits
- Experience using TeamMate or TeamMate+ audit software or other electronic working paper software
- CISA certification
- Ability to travel to more than one work location