TCEQ - Laboratory Technician III (00028555)
Organization: TEXAS COMMISSION ON ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY
Primary Location: Texas-Sugar Land
Work Locations: Sugar Land Laboratory 12553 W Airport Blvd Sugar Land 77478
Job: Life, Physical, and Social Science
Employee Status: Regular
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
State Job Code: 4146
Salary Admin Plan: A
Salary (Pay Basis): 2,791.00 - 2,791.00 (Monthly)
Number of Openings: 1
Overtime Status: Non-exempt
Job Posting: Dec 29, 2022, 3:20:06 PM
Closing Date: Jan 13, 2023, 11:59:00 PM
WE ARE TCEQ
Are you ready to make a positive impact in Texas? At Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, protecting the environment is at the heart of everything we do. Choose a career where your perspective, passion, and skills are valued.
We strive to protect our state’s public health and natural resources consistent with sustainable economic development. Our goal is clean air, clean water, and the safe management of waste.
TCEQ employees get some great perks, including a hybrid work schedule, paid leave, health insurance, and state and federal holidays. See Benefits and Perks at TCEQ.
YOUR FUTURE TEAM
As part of TCEQ’s Office of Water, you would contribute to ensuring clean and available water and protecting Texas’ water resources. See details about what we do.
This position is a member of our Water Quality Planning Division and provides support to the Sugar Land Laboratory.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
As a part of the division’s Water Quality Planning team, our Laboratory Technician III will play a key role in achieving TCEQ’s mission. You would use your skills and experience to:
- Provide technical support for the Sugar Land Laboratory of the Water Quality Planning Division of the TCEQ.
- Review and enter sample demographics, analytical requests, and sample information into the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS); ensure that demographic and analytical requests are correctly entered; identify errors; and consult with appropriate staff to correct errors.
- Perform administrative functions such as answering the phones, routing incoming calls and taking messages; preparing and mailing packages; print and send final reports of analyses to customers; and maintain records to support activities.
- Assist with receiving shipments of samples; reconcile all Chain-of-Custody and Request for Analysis forms with sample aliquots received and distributes to laboratory staff for analysis; identify discrepancies in documentation, the number and type of aliquots, volumes and methods of preservation upon receipt to ensure efficiency in distribution. Assist sample custodian with proper disposal of all samples when analyses and final reporting is completed.
- Assist with receipt of shipment of deliveries of supplies, reagents, chemicals and equipment; assist with maintaining database inventories of receivables; assist with maintaining the laboratory supply room.
- Prepare and ships reagent water, sampling Clean Kits and other supplies as requested by agency staff.
- Perform other special projects as assigned, including moderately complex chemical and biological analyses of environmental samples in accordance with laboratory methods, standard operating procedures, and quality systems. Prepare and analyze samples using volumetric, gravimetric, and/or colorimetric procedures such as Chemical Oxygen Demand, Chlorophyll-a, Biochemical Oxygen Demand, Phenolics, Alkalinity, as well as ion chromatography and microbiological testing. Enter and process analytical data and prepare and submit reports using LIMS ensuring compliance with client specifications and turnaround times.
TELEWORK: This position requires full-time in office attendance in Sugar Land.
- High school graduation or GED certificate plus four years of full-time experience in a laboratory.
- One year (30 semester hours) of accredited college work may be substituted for each year of the required experience.
- Experience with a Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) or other laboratory sample management database.
- Experience working in an environmental laboratory.
TRANSCRIPTS / COLLEGE HOURS OR COURSE WORK
See instructions on how to attach documents. A copy of your official college transcript or evaluation of foreign credentials in CAPPS is required if needed to meet the minimum qualification requirements outlined above.
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT
TCEQ will conduct a criminal history records search, driving history (if required for the job) on candidates offered employment.
In compliance with ADA, if you need any special accommodations during the employment process, please contact HRSS for assistance at (512) 239-0102.
MILITARY OCCUPATIONAL SPECIALTY (MOS) CODES
Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) codes can be found at: https://hr.sao.texas.gov/CompensationSystem/JobDescriptions/. Please click the hyperlink under ‘Occupational Category’ for the respective Class Title.
Texas Commission on Environmental Quality is an Equal Opportunity Employer.