Land Management Ranger
Working with Austin Water provides a number of health and welfare benefits such as low-cost medical, dental, vision, paid leave time, a highly competitive retirement plan, training opportunities and more. Please click HERE for more information.
This position will carry out land management and ranch-hand type duties on over 26,000 acres of Balcones Canyonland Preserves and Water Quality Protection Lands. Typical activities include hiking the perimeter of properties (often in rugged terrain), documenting unauthorized activities, repairing fencing from cuts and tree-damage using hand tools, interacting with the public neighboring these lands, and coordinating with biologists, maintenance staff, and other land management professionals.
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Natural Resources Management, Rangeland Management, Wildlife Biology, Law Enforcement, or other related field.
- Experience or education may substitute for the minimum qualifications.
Licenses or Certifications:
- May require a Texas non-commercial Pesticide Applicators License or be capable of obtaining one within six (6) months of employment.
- Must carry and maintain a Texas State Hunting License.
- Current Texas Class “C” Driver’s License.
- This position requires the employee to hold a valid Texas Hunting License by date of hire.
- Please review the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department guidelines for licensing HERE
- This position requires a Current Texas Class C Driver License or the ability to acquire one by your hire date. External New Hires must meet the City of Austin’s Driver Record Evaluation (DRE) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months.
- This position will require that you be able to perform the following essential job functions with confidence and with or without reasonable accommodations:
- Walk long distances on uneven terrain, typically 8 to 10 miles per day.
- Stand, sit, bend, stoop, twist, push, pull, climb, kneel, crawl, hear and see clearly with or without corrective lenses/glasses
- Lift and carry equipment and supplies weighing up to fifty (50) pounds, unassisted
- Operate various power tools, including drills, chainsaws, augers, and woodchippers, as well as various hand tools, including hammers, t-post drivers, pliers, and hand saws.
- Work in environments that may include hazardous conditions, walking in dense vegetation and exposure to extreme weather conditions
- Wear required PPE to include safety eyewear, footwear, head protection or hearing protection
- Work in confined spaces
- Selected candidate will be required to complete and pass a pre-employment physical exam to be considered for this position, which includes a Functional (FC) strength/agility test.
- Experience as a land manager or ranch hand.
- Experience hiking and monitoring vast areas of land in a rural setting.
- Experience with public interaction, customer service and addressing complaints.
- Skill and experience in minor fencing and other repairs, using chainsaws, hand saws, woodchippers, and other small hand tools.
- Proficiency in using firearms for wildlife management.
Criminal Background Investigation
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
$22.10 – $25.11
Monday – Friday: 7:00 AM – 4:00 PM
May be required to work overtime and other shifts based on business needs.
Reicher Ranch, 3621 RR 620 South, Austin, 78738