Performs entry-level work maintaining parks, athletic fields, trails and greenways, public common areas/spaces, irrigation systems, park structures, fixtures and recreational facilities, mowing, parking areas, litter and trash removal, minor construction and repair of facilities, and assists with special events and programs. Generally, this position uses basic skills and works under close supervision, with minimal latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Essential Duties & Required Qualifications
- Operates a variety of specialized equipment and performs manual labor tasks in order to maintain safe parks and City facilities as assigned; duties will vary according to job assignment.
- Performs general park maintenance and repairs including mowing, weed eating, hand weed removal, edging, painting, masonry, carpentry, playgrounds/play structures, pavilions, fencing, lighting, irrigation systems, sidewalks, parking lots, picnic tables, dog waste stations, restroom cleaning, pest and weed control, tree planting and pruning, fertilization and trash removal.
- Makes repairs and performs maintenance to buildings, facilities, irrigation systems and equipment using carpentry, electrical, plumbing, and mechanic skills, and reports problems requiring additional attention.
- Operates and maintains vehicles, tools and equipment including but not limited to hand tools, mowers, edgers, pickup truck, trailers, utility vehicles, tractors, front-end loaders, tillers, string trimmers, blowers, sprayers, chain and pole saws in accordance with all safety regulations and procedures.
- Prepares and maintains athletic fields and sport courts to include dragging and lining fields, setting bases, mowing, weed eating, irrigation repair, watering, cleaning, pest and weed control, fertilization and trash removal.
- Maintains, cleans and repairs swimming pool(s) and water-splash parks; perform plumbing repairs.
- Assists with the setup and teardown of festivals, special events, and programs to include, but not limited to staging, tables, chairs, tents, parking, trash removal, use of generators and light towers and other equipment, etc.
- Keeps records of work completed through work order system.
- Carries out various landscape management of the City’s open/public spaces and/or public safety facilities as assigned.
- Responsible for placing and taking down pavilion reservation signs.
- Provides Park and Facility visitors with information, directions, or other assistance, as permitted.
- Must be able to work flexible work schedule and irregular hours including evenings, weekdays, weekends, and holidays on any assigned or scheduled shift.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
- High school graduate or its equivalent.
- Minimum of six months of related experience.
- Must be able to work flexible work schedules and irregular hours including evenings, weekdays, weekends, and holidays on any assigned or scheduled shift.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Valid Driver’s License. (Approximately 20% driving time in a company vehicle.)
Preferred Education and Experience
- Texas Driver’s License or ability to obtain a Texas driver’s license within 90 days per state law.
- One or more years of related experience.
- Certificate or degree from a trade or technical school.
- Previous experience and knowledge of arboricultural and horticultural practices, operation of maintenance, and mowing.
- Previous experience in welding, metal fabrication, masonry, painting, carpentry, concrete, plumbing, electrical and heavy equipment.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Must be able to wear city provided uniform and city issued personal protective equipment - Steel-toed leather boots, gloves, eye protection, head protection, safety vest, and ear protection.
- Workers must be in compliance with safety procedures and usage of safety equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to follow detailed verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to communicate with other employees and the general public in a courteous and diplomatic manner.
- Skill in operating assigned equipment, tools, and vehicles safely.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
Physical Demands & Additional Information
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to handle and feel items; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, or crawl; talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus. Must be able to lift or move 100 pounds and drag up to 150 pounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; extreme cold and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but occasionally loud.