Pretreatment Compliance Supervisor
Posting Title: Pretreatment Compliance Supervisor
Job Requisition Number: COA089972
Position Number: 109140
Job Type: Full-Time
Division Name: Industrial Waste Control
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a related field, plus five (5) years of related experience, two (2) years of which were in a lead or supervisory capacity.
Licenses or Certifications:
- Texas Class C Drivers License.
Notes to Applicants:
This position supervises the technical, professional, and field personnel responsible for the City of Austin’s federally and state mandated pretreatment program.
Working with Austin Water provides a number of benefits including medical, paid leave time, a great retirement plan, training opportunities and more! Click HERE for more information.
When completing the City of Austin employment application:
- Please be sure to detail on the application all previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications. Please include contact information from previous employers.
- A detailed, complete employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Be sure to provide job title and employment dates for all jobs you wish to be considered.
- A resume is required but will not substitute for a complete employment application. Please do not use the phrase “see resume” or refer to other documents to complete your application. Do not leave the “Duties and Responsibilities” sections blank. These will be considered incomplete applications. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- A cover letter is also required. In the cover letter, candidates should describe in concise detail their interest in this position and highlight any prior experience that is relevant to this position.
This position requires a Valid Texas Class C Driver License or the ability to acquire one by your hire date. External New Hires must meet the City of Austin’s Driver Record Evaluation (DRE) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months.
If you are selected for hire:
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED, undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) is required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization or institution. You must also provide proof of your professional licenses or certifications.
- If you are in the military or are a military veteran, you will need to provide a copy of the Member 4 page of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
- A criminal background investigation is required.
- All Austin Water employees are prohibited from accepting or engaging in any secondary employment that might conflict or interfere with an employee’s duty and responsibility to the Department.
- Austin Water must review all secondary employment.
- Employees are required to submit a Secondary Employment Application for review and approval upon being hired with Austin Water, as well as current Austin Water employees considering secondary employment.
Effective October 1, 2014, all Austin Water worksite locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any AW worksite – including construction sites, parking lot, garage or in any personal vehicle located on the premises.
Pay Range: $32.89 – $41.93
Hours: Monday – Friday, 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM
Job Close Date: 09/25/2023
Type of Posting: External
Department: Austin Water Utility
Grant Funded or Pooled Position: Not Applicable
Location: Glenn Bell Service Center, 3907 S Industrial Dr.
- Supervisory experience including handling employee hiring, discipline, and performance evaluation
- Experience supervising, leading, and monitoring personnel that engage in highly technical and/or regulatory enforcement work
- Experience communicating technical information to non-technical audiences
- Experience creating and conducting presentations for internal and external customers
- Experience enforcing environmental regulations
- Experience developing and documenting business processes
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities: Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Oversees and monitors the personnel that conduct plan reviews and approvals; conducts inspections, self-monitoring and application reviews, surveillance and permitting of industrial waste users; inspect, monitor, test and sample industrial user discharges to ensure compliance with state, federal and local regulations.
- Promotes pollution prevention, waste minimization, and other source control initiatives; initiates investigations and enforcement actions against non-compliant industrial users.
- Plans and coordinates daily activities and operations of pretreatment personnel to support departmental objectives.
- Develops goals, objectives, and resource requirements for activities.
- Develops, revises, and implements standard operating practice, policy, and procedure. Interprets and explains pretreatment and environmental regulations.
- Prepares and monitors division operation budget.
- Coordinates and monitors the safety of pretreatment personnel in the field.
- Coordinates the activities of vendors providing pretreatment and hauled waste services and monitors vendor performance.
- Provides, oversees, and schedules training of pretreatment compliance personnel.
- Receives, investigates, and monitors pretreatment and hauled waste compliance customer complaints and ensures their resolution.
- Writes, drafts, and completes reports and documents. Reviews regulatory reports prepared by subordinates.
Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
- Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling, and recommendation for dismissal.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws, ordinances, policies, and procedures covering pretreatment, hauled waste, environmental and safety regulations and standards.
- Knowledge of fiscal planning and budget preparation.
- Knowledge of supervisory and managerial techniques and principles.
- Knowledge of laboratory testing of water and wastewater
- Knowledge of city collection systems
- Skill in oral and written communications.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in using computers and related software applications.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Ability to read and interpret plans, maps, and written specifications.
- Ability to train others.
- Ability to quickly recognize and analyze irregular events.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective communication and working relationships with city employees and the public.
Criminal Background Investigation: This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
EEO/ADA: City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or Texas Relay by dialing 7-1-1.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual’s AIDS, AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * The minimum qualifications for the Pretreatment Compliance Supervisor position are: Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a related field, plus five (5) years of related experience, two (2) years of which were in a lead or supervisory capacity. Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
- * How many years of lead or supervisory experience do you have in a regulatory field?
- Less than two (2) years
- Two (2) to three (3) years
- Three (3) to four (4) years
- Four (4) to five (5) years
- Five (5) or more years
- * How many years of experience do you have promoting, investigating, and enforcing pollution prevention, waste minimization, and other source control initiatives with industrial users?
- Less than one (1) year
- One (1) to three (3) years
- Four (4) to six (6) years
- More than six (6) years
- * This position requires a valid Texas Class C Driver License. Do you have a valid Texas Class C Driver License or, if selected for this position, do you have the ability to acquire a valid Texas Class C Driver License by your hire date?
- * The City of Austin Driver Eligibility Standards require that external new hires meet the City's Driver Record Evaluation (DRE) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three (3) moving violations or a total of six (6) Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months. Do you meet this requirement?
- * This position requires a criminal background check. By selecting the following, you are acknowledging that you understand if you are selected as a top candidate for this position, you will need a successful CBI to be hired.
- I acknowledge and understand this position requires a Criminal Background Check.
- * Were you referred to this opportunity by an Austin Water employee? If yes, please provide the employee’s full name.
- (Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter