City of Austin WaterAustin, Texas1M ago
An important task of this position is conducting site visits as part of emergency response for sanitary sewer overflows, investigating complaints and site conditions for construction activities, and checking the integrity of manholes and pipe after storm events. This may include traveling traverse challenging terrain at all hours of the day or night, on weekends and during inclement weather, with or without reasonable accommodations.
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Communicates project and/or program information to internal and external customers.
- Assists in the development and monitoring of project and/or program budgets by completing assignments that may include processing a pay application or monitoring and updating the assigned project budget.
- Assists in the development of short- and long-range plans on projects or works on routine projects whereby techniques used are well known and present no unusual engineering problems.
- Assists in the development and implementation of operating policies and procedures by providing input as a team member of an established process improvement team.
- Ensures compliance with City and other regulatory agency requirements and policies by verifying that regulatory/permitting processes have been identified and permits or approvals acquired for assigned project.
- Coordinates development/reviews construction or engineering related contracts, contract documents, and Developer Agreements by reviewing preparing and processing project change orders to projects if change orders are appropriate and in compliance or applying technical quality control review.
- Coordinates and evaluates plans, criteria, schedules, etc. for a variety of projects, Programs, and plans or a division and/or section activities.
- Assists in the resolution of conflicts and difficult situations by providing supporting documentation, policies and procedures.
- Develops, maintains, and improves City of Austin design and construction standards.
- Provides technical advice and assistance.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
May provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training, and guidance to others.
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of basic engineering and architectural design principles, practices, procedures, and estimating techniques.
- Knowledge of project accounting, architectural, and construction methods and the principles, methods, and practices of project management.
- Knowledge of laws, rules, regulations, and codes associated with project assignment.
- Knowledge of budget policies and principles.
- Knowledge of contract management principles, methods, and practices.
- Skill in adapting, interpreting, and applying guidelines and standards.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining positive relationships with internal and external customers.
- Skill in using available software packages.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, tact, and diplomacy in all public contacts.
- Ability to schedule and coordinate activities between various parties and planning specific aspects of a project.
- Ability to communicate in oral or written format to a variety of audiences.
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a related field, plus three (3) years of experience in construction, engineering, architecture, or related work.
- Experience may substitute for education up to a maximum of four (4) years.
Licenses or Certifications: A valid Texas driver license.
- Strong database experience, and the ability to collect, track, sort, and manage and analyze data in a variety of formats and identify trends and produce reports to governing bodies
- Experience evaluating, inspecting, identifying defects and repair solutions and creating work orders for the construction of wastewater collection systems and private wastewater lines
- Experience interacting with all levels of personnel throughout the organization and adapting communication styles to meet the needs of internal and external customers
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated experience in planning, organizing and working with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities and collaborating effectively with other departments or units within an organization to meet business objectives
- Ability to work an emergency on-call rotation that may include hours outside the normal 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM work schedule, weekends, holidays and inclement weather
- Ability to safely traverse challenging terrain in the day, night, and during inclement weather with or without reasonable accommodations as part of emergency response for sanitary sewer overflows