Project Manager III
Texas Higher Education Coordinating BoardAustin3M ago
Performs highly complex project management work for agency programs. Work involves instituting the strategic program plan, coordinating the planning and initiation of a set of projects at various levels of completion; monitoring the progress, budgets, and schedule of projects; and communicating with project stakeholders, management, and other relevant parties. Plans, assigns, and/or supervises the work of others. Works under limited supervision, with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. The position reports to the Senior Director for Business Solutions and User Engagement within the Information Solutions and Services (ISS) Division.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
• Coordinates, develops, and evaluates a set of projects using accepted project management methodologies.
• Analyzes and documents business and functional requirements. Works closely with the Application Development and Support team to translate users’ business needs into concise requirements documents.
• Oversees multiple projects concurrently and determines resource utilization levels across different projects. Utilizes various methods to prioritize projects.
• Develops project budgets, schedules, work plans, resources requirements, and cost estimates and projections for a set of projects.
• Develops and implements plans to communicate and explain project management methodologies, and makes presentations to team members and interested stakeholders.
• Develops criteria for evaluating programs, proposals, and other information related to project management.
• Reviews and recommends proposals and bids to management.
• Analyzes and monitors project components to identify issues, risks, and opportunities for improvement, and designs strategies to mitigate or avoid future risks within project sets.
• Monitors and manages project costs to ensure the project is completed within budget.
• Monitors and manages project quality to ensure project deliverables are acceptable and fulfill the terms of the project contract or specifications.
• Compiles and distributes project information, status reports, and project budget expenditures for sets of projects.
• Creates procedures and documentation to capture and address changes in original project plans.
• Determines the optimal resource mix for the project delivery, and schedules activities to achieve the organization’s operational and financial goals.
• May initiate multi-agency or enterprise-level projects, obtain authorization and commitment, and demonstrate business need and project feasibility.
• Participates in different phases and activities of the systems development lifecycle such as requirements analysis, high-level design, code review, quality assurance testing, implementation, and maintenance.
• Participates in continuous process improvement activities that support other sections within ISS.
• Uses an Agile systems development methodology to develop product and system specifications and deliver a quality product to end user in a timely manner.
• Documents processes, activities, goals, and objectives and develops strategies for enhancing or automating these processes.
• Coordinates project activities with other state agencies, governmental jurisdictions, or private sector partners and contractors.
• Coordinates development of Disaster Recovery plans and activities for assigned application project set.
• Provides stakeholders with timely assessments of project and component performance.
• Works to improve project management processes.
• Assigns and/or supervises the work of others.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Knowledge of Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK) processes related to: Integration Management, Scope Management, Time Management, Cost Management, Quality Management, Communications Management, Risk Management, Stakeholder Management, Human Resource Management, and Procurement Management.
• Skill in problem solving and root cause analysis.
• Skill in project management monitoring, in addressing changes in scope and budget, and in project resourcing.
• Skill in using personal computers, databases, and general office software, including Microsoft Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel.
• Ability to clarify, structure, and prioritize project requirements.
• Ability to communicate effectively both in writing and verbally and to work collaboratively with all project stakeholders.
• Ability to manage multiple project activities, to establish goals and objectives for project sets, to exercise sound judgment in making critical decisions, to analyze complex information and develop plans to address identified issues, to demonstrate negotiation and facilitation skills, to identify project risks and gaps, to prepare reports and charts, to communicate effectively, and to assign and/or supervise the work of others.
• Ability to maintain a high level of professionalism and customer satisfaction.
• Ability to plan, organize, direct, schedule, and coordinate work assignments.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships both internally and externally, and to work cooperatively and effectively in a team environment.
• Ability to accept and follow instructions given in a variety of forms.
• Ability to plan, set appropriate goals and objectives, and carry out work in a timely and effective manner.
• Ability to meet periodic, milestone, and final deadlines and keep management abreast of issues.
• Ability to adhere to the agency’s internal management policies and procedures.
Required Minimum Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
• Five years of full-time work experience in systems analysis, design and project management, managing multiple projects simultaneously, or serving as a team lead in such an environment.
• Six months of additional relevant full-time work experience may substitute for 15 semester credit hours of required education, up to four years.
• A master’s degree in a closely related field may be substituted for one year of the required full-time work experience.
• Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in computer science, computer information systems, management information systems, or a related field.
• Familiarity with Microsoft Team Foundation Server (TFS) software for project management.
• Experience in Agile development methodology.
• Experience with web development and relational database technologies.
• Experience managing projects utilizing Microsoft (MS) Project or other project management software.