Public Information Specialist
City of Austin WaterAustin3M ago
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Writes, plans, organize, direct, coordinate and edit articles for publication in a variety of forms, including electronic publication. Coordinates all aspects of production of marketing materials.
- Performs media relations duties to include: media buying, news releases, and fielding questions from media. Performs public relations duties to include: public and school education, presentations, tours of public facilities, and requests for information from the general public.
- Assists in the planning and development of advertising/promotional campaigns/strategies.
- Provides event coordination services i.e., arrange facilities, contact media, invite all appropriate groups and individuals, etc.
- Designs, researches, write and edit newsletters and releases for internal or external use.
- Develops and updates intranet and internet web sites.
- Produces public service announcements and videos and photography for promotional use.
- Designs and maintains databases i.e., mailing lists, association & organization lists, etc.
- Receives, investigates, and answers questions from external media and public. Serves as liaison for media and general public.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Conducts training of personnel regarding: how to communicate with the media, train external media on departments’ media standard operating procedures.
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of public information, marketing, public relations, media relations programs.
- Knowledge of the functions and organization of municipal government, to include the relationships between departments, divisions and agencies.
- Knowledge of the principles associated with the role of meeting the necessary standards of customer service.
- Knowledge Federal, State and Local laws.
- Knowledge of city practice, policy and procedures.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in handling multiple projects and prioritizing.
- Skill in using computers and related software.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Skill in planning and organizing.
- Ability to interpret policies and guidelines.
- Ability to write articles for publication.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to lead and train others.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public.
Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism, Advertising or related field; Or
Four (4) years of experience in developing and implementing programs of public information
Licenses or Certifications: None.
- Experience preparing written communications, such as internal and external correspondences, electronic news, articles, press releases and social media
- Experience creating and editing video content and public service announcements that support marketing efforts and adheres to specific branding standards
- Experience using Adobe Premiere Pro editing software
- Experience using Adobe After Effects visual effects software and Adobe Audition Audio software
- Experience working with studio lighting equipment, fluid head tripods, microphones including studio and lavaliere and other audio recording devices
- Experience researching public information requests received from the media or general public, and ensure all statutory guidelines and deadlines are met under the State of Texas Public Information Act and that requested material is compiled in a timely fashion
- Professional experience in marketing and/or advertising
- Experience working with GovQA open records tracking software or similar systems
- Intermediate proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Word
- Ability to travel to more than one work location