City of LeanderLeander, Texasa month ago
Join the #1 Growing City in the Nation!!!*
There is room to grow here in the City of Leander.
Our Senior Accountants perform a variety of general accounting functions; prepare accurate and timely financial reports; provide accounting assistance to City staff. Significant involvement with and/or responsible for preparing journal entries, internal control policies and procedures, monthly financial reports, bank reconciliations, and prepare schedules and journal entries for the external audit.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: may include the following (other duties may be assigned).
- Prepares and posts monthly and year-end journal entries.
- Prepares and maintains fixed asset schedules, including related annual journal entries.
- Assist with capital project (CIP) accounting.
- Creates and updates policies and procedures relating to safeguarding the City’s assets.
- Assist with annual external audit.
- Assist with preparing the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR).
- Prepares monthly bank reconciliations.
- Assists with investing funds and the proper entry of those transactions.
- Assist with debt management and documentation.
- Assist with grant documentation and reconciliation.
- Provides assistance for the budget process.
- Assists City staff with questions regarding journal entries and proper accounting processes.
- Prepares quarterly reviews of financial statements – e.g., escrow, rebates, franchise fees and development agreements.
- Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
Required Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in accounting or related field. Five years related experience, preferably in municipal government, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Preferred Education and/or Experience:
Certified Public Accountant and five years to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Annualized salary range is $54,787.20 - $64,095.40, depending upon experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Governmental accounting principles and methods. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry. Principles and procedures of financial record keeping and reporting. Accounting principles and practices with emphasis in governmental accounting. Pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes and regulations. Basic Mathematical principles. Operation of Payroll systems. Operation of INCODE computer system. Interpret and prepare various reports and statements for State and Federal governmental agencies. Effectively perform a variety of accounting functions. Interpret and apply Federal, State and local policies, procedures, laws and regulations. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations. Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with public officials, superiors, subordinates and the public; ability to type accurately. Must be proficient in using Microsoft applications (including Word, Excel), other software packages as needed for data management and email applications. Type at a speed necessary for successful job performance. Prepare clear and concise reports. Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing. Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.