Sr. Back-End Engineer
GovernmentCIORemote; Anywhere in US1M ago
GovernmentCIO is looking for an analytical, results-driven professional to join our team as a Senior Back-end Engineer building government digital services and working on a IT Practitioner with commercial experience transforming systems and services leveraging concepts in the Digital Services Playbook with a focus on user-centered agile delivery processes. As the Senior Back-end engineer, you will apply your agility, innovation and expertise to build and enhance existing government platforms.
GovernmentCIO aims to transform government IT by delivering the technology-related innovation necessary to improve governmental operations every day. Come transform government IT with us. Apply today!
- Rapidly deliver lightweight back-end services on a modern, public-facing web stack.
- Work in a multi-disciplined team including customer-focused researchers, designers, front-end engineers, DevOps engineers, and other back-end engineers.
- Work with Product Owners and Scrum Teams in requirements decomposition, backlog refinement, breakdown of user stories and tasks.
- Interaction with stakeholders and SMEs in support of the Product Owner.
- Use Ruby/Rails and other programming languages to build scalable back-end services that gracefully integrate with legacy systems and modern front-end frameworks.
- Build APIs that support both the digital services we deliver as well as third-party usage.
- Use unit and integration testing to ensure systems meet business needs.
- Ship software that impacts the lives of millions of American Veterans and their families.
- Interface with internal and Government management personnel.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Experience in an agile environment like Scrum or SAFe.
- At least one year of direct, continuous work experience in Ruby/Rails.
- Must be able to design, discuss, and document system strategies for platform, applications and networks.
- Experience designing RESTful APIs for consumption by front-end developers.
- Experience integrating with external REST web services.
- Experience integrating with external SOAP web services.
- Experience writing both unit and end-to-end automated tests.
- Experience working with frequently updated open source libraries.
- Strong desire to contribute to a rapidly changing open source platform.
- Strong understanding of object-oriented design and SOLID design principles.
- Strong understanding of MVC architecture in general (preferably as implemented by Rails).
- Proficient with Git, GitHub, Markdown text, and Slack.
- Proficient spelling, grammar, and communication skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, Mathematics, Science, and related fields. On a special case-by-case basis, five years of related work experience may be considered in lieu of a degree for otherwise highly qualified candidates.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Three or more years of direct work experience in Ruby/Rails.
· Working knowledge of Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR) standard
- Public contributions to GitHub and/or open source projects.
- Familiarity with PHP, Drupal CMS, static site generators, Node.js, and GraphQL.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services—in particular EC2, S3, and RDS.
- Experience reading and writing to relational databases (such as PostgreSQL) using Ruby on Rails ActiveRecord.
- Experience documenting RESTful APIs using Open API (Swagger).
- Experience using JSON:API and JSON Schema standards.
- Experience migrating monoliths using Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) and/or Microservices Architecture (MSA) patterns.
- Experience working in environments that utilize TDD-based automation.
- Experience supporting public-facing web applications with a large userbase.
- Experience communicating at a senior level, to include demos to customers and stakeholders, written technical proposals, and recorded brown bags/knowledge share sessions.
- Technical lead experience.