Substation Electrician I, II, III (Maintenance)
LCRA (Lower Colorado River Authority)Austin, Texas1M ago
At an entry level, performs tasks in the performance of routine repairs, maintenance and/or construction and installation of high-voltage equipment as required by assigned work area. This position develops competence by performing structured work assignments and receives instruction, guidance and direction from supervisor, manager and/or more experienced colleagues.
- Assists more experienced employees by performing routine installation, maintenance, repair and operational / diagnostic tests related to electrical craft. Assists, as directed, in more complex maintenance and repair of transmission, power generation, vehicles, and facilities equipment, using power and hand tools as necessary.
- Assists in the assembly, installation and/or maintenance of electrical equipment related to assigned work area, including high-voltage equipment.
- Assists in the maintenance and/or erection of electrical structures, including high-voltage structures. Depending upon assigned area, may be required to climb up to heights of 100 feet to perform such duties.
- Assists in performing necessary operational and/or diagnostic tests. Records test results. Assists with development and summary of test results in reports.
- Observes and inspects equipment and structures to detect potential routine electrical issues (e.g., patrol of transmission lines).
- Operates handheld manual tools and power tools in performing electrical tasks.
- Transports and learns to operate heavy equipment (e.g., backhoe, dump truck, small excavator and large excavator) in performing construction repair and maintenance tasks.
- Prepares equipment and material for daily projects.
- Participates in training to gain greater knowledge of procedures, tools and equipment operation pertinent to assigned work area. Learns to read blueprints, diagrams, schematics, manuals, parts lists, etc.
- May perform manual labor such as shoveling and use of pavement breakers.
- May assist in performing low-voltage and high-voltage switching according to standard procedures and in coordination with System Operations.
- Assists and/or directs lower level employees (such as helpers and temporary workers) in the practice of safe and proper use of tools and equipment.
- Performs work by traveling independently or with a small crew to various locations (substations, power plants, etc.) as scheduled.
- Learns to transport and operate aerial bucket equipment (e.g., man lifts, jib lifts and bucket trucks) and cranes (e.g., mobile cranes and facility cranes).
This general overview only includes essential functions of the job and does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by supervisor or management.
Minimum Requirements ---
Zero or more years of experience in maintenance and/or construction of electrical power generation, transmission, distribution, substation and control equipment, and/or other types of electrical equipment, including experience reading blueprints.
Class A Texas commercial driver’s license or equivalent from another state required for incumbents with heavy equipment operation and transportation responsibilities.