Summer Camp Lifeguard Level 2
The lifeguard is responsible for the safety of campers and staff at all waterfronts. The lifeguards add to the harmonious camp operations by exhibiting positive camper engagement.
- Ensure work areas and activities are safe and meet the requirements of the American Camp Association, Texas State Health Department, and GSCTX.
- Responsible for lifeguarding in accordance with American Red Cross Certification standards, American Camp Association standards and Safety Activity Checkpoints.
- Responsible for lifeguarding at waterfront programs, including swimming and small craft classes, free swims, canoeing/kayaking, waterfront activities on trips and any other activity related to the waterfront.
- Responsible for checking that the waterfront facilities, equipment, and supplies are maintained in the best possible working order.
- Responsible for maintaining high standards of health and safety in all activities for campers and staff.
- Responsible for checking and maintaining chemicals under Camp Ranger supervision.
- Ensure the safety of all campers during their stay at Girl Scouts of Central Texas camps by following all policies, procedures, and protocols.
- Responsible for maintaining effective working relationships with staff and creating harmonious relationships with campers, parents, and staff.
- Be a role model to campers and staff in your attitude and behavior.
- Responsible for maintaining accurate inventory records, seeing that needed supplies and equipment are ordered, repaired, and properly maintained.
- Must be willing to assist as needed in living units working with unit staff to directly supervise campers, including but not limited to overnight staffing coverage and day to day activities.
- Provide quality customer service that resolves concerns in a timely manner.
- Promote and support the Girl Scout program philosophies of the GSUSA & GSCTX.
- Promote Girl Scouting in a positive manner to the public and co-workers.
- Assume other duties and responsibilities as delegated.
- Membership in GSUSA is preferred.
- Must be at least 18 years of age by June 1, 2022
- Meet qualifications outlined in Safety Activity Checkpoints.
- Adheres to all Personnel Policies for Summer Camp Staff.
- Current Lifeguard Certification from American Red Cross (or approved equivalent under Girl Scout Safety Activity Checkpoints and the American Camp Association) or ability to obtain certification before camp.
- Experience as a lifeguard preferred.
- Exhibits mature decision-making.
- Exhibits good judgment and risk management assessment skills.
- Ability to work with, communicate with and teach children ages six through seventeen.
- Continuous ability to work well on a team.
- Knowledge of Girl Scouts and Girl Scout camp preferred.
- Fluent in Spanish and English is preferred.
- Must reside on camp property.
- Frequent sitting, standing, walking, bending and twisting upper body.
- Capable of lifting up to 50lbs.
- Strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
- Continuous outdoor activity and exposure to weather.
- Willingness to live in a camp setting and work irregular hours with limited equipment and facilities, with daily exposure to sun, heat, and insects.
OTHER WORKING CONDITIONS
· Continuous requirement for professional demeanor and appropriate camp staff attire at all times.
· A criminal background check is required.
· Continuous work as a team member and ability to work independently with some supervision.
· Frequent work under stress and under pressure of deadlines with overlapping projects.
· Continuous ability to work well with others.
Important Note: The information contained in this job description is intended to outline the general nature and scope of work being performed by an employee assigned to this position. It is not intended to be construed as a contract, or as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and capabilities required of a person employed in this capacity. Job descriptions are subject to change at the discretion of the Girl Scouts of Central Texas.
Girl Scouts of Central Texas is an EOE Employer