Summer Lifeguard - YMCA of Austin
YMCA of AustinAustin, Texas15 days ago
How you will contribute to our Purpose:
The Y’s purpose is to strengthen the community. Every day, we work side by side with our neighbors to make sure everyone, regardless of age, income, or background, has the opportunity to learn, grow, and thrive. There are lots of places to work, but few opportunities to do work that really matters. Not only will you have the chance to help children, youth, and adults of all ages reach their potential, you’ll be making a huge difference in your community as well.
Do you want to dive into the summer and work with a dynamic team? Join the team as a Summer Lifeguard! As a Lifeguard, you play a vital role in ensuring the safety of our members and program participants. You explain and enforce the rules and guidelines of the pool area. You maintain equipment, inspect pool chemicals, pool temperatures, and cleanliness. This is a seasonal part-time role-based that will start in May 2021.
Recruitment & Hiring Target Dates
- Application review and interviews will begin on February 5th – May 3rd
- Job offers and Lifeguard certification classes will begin on February 15th – May 3rd
Certification Classes for Summer Lifeguards
- February 18-21 Hays YMCA Branch
- March 4-7 TownLake YMCA Branch
- March 25-28 at Springs Family YMCA Branch
- April 8-11 at Camp Moody
**Please note that all dates are tentative, and can change based on program operations.**
- Free membership to all YMCA's of Austin (over $600.00/year value).
- Flexible schedules
- Career advancement opportunities
- Employee discounts on programs and more
- Voluntary 403b Retirement Savings Account
What are the details?
- You protect the health, safety, and welfare of all persons in the pool area.
- You know and facilitate pool schedule (i.e. put in or remove lane markers).
- You render first aid as needed and complete an incident/accident report form for every injury/altercation on the premises.
- You complete basic pool maintenance duties including, but not limited to taking and recording water tests at regular intervals, adjusting chemicals.
- You maintain the cleanliness of the area; remove items that need attention and report all needed repairs to your supervisor.
- You greet all members and participants and record attendance.
- You complete other duties that are assigned.
What you bring to the Purpose:
- Education and Experience: You are a minimum of 16 years of age. You have a current YMCA or Red Cross Lifeguard Certification that includes CPR/AED, First Aid, and Oxygen. Lifeguard Certification classes are available at our local YMCAs. We will ensure you get certified and have all the resources you need to be successful in this role.
- You are a team player. You are a team player with a positive, service-oriented attitude and you can work well with others.
- You are organized and productive. You are organized, able to prioritize tasks and handle multiple assignments.
- You are a strong communicator. You listen for understanding and meaning. You speak and write effectively.
- You foster a culture of inclusion and belonging. You leverage people’s differences as strengths.
- Availability: You have the availability to work flexible hours during gym operational hours.
Pay Rate: $9.50 - $11.00 per hour, depending on experience
The organization has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills, and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
The YMCA of Austin provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. YMCA of Austin complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which we have employees. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.