Temporary - Austin Water Treatment Plant Worker
This position is a temporary position, with limited benefits, that is expected to last at least six months with a possible extension.
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- Valid current Texas Class “C” Driver License.
- May require valid Texas Commercial Driver License with endorsements within 90 days of hire.
- Must be able to become certified for Respiratory Protection and Confined-Space Entry Program within six (6) months of employment and maintain certification.
This position requires a Valid current Texas Class “C” Driver License or the ability to acquire one by your hire date. External New Hires must meet the City of Austin’s Driver Record Evaluation (DRE) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months.
Commercial Driver’s License (Treatment Plant Worker):
This position may require newly hired employees to obtain appropriate class of Commercial Driver’s License with endorsements within ninety days of employment. Employees must comply with the Alcohol and Controlled Substance Testing rules as outlined by the City of Austin Alcohol and Drug Policy for Drivers of Commercial Motor Vehicles.
Confined Space Entry Requirements:
Candidates must be able to work in environments which may have hazardous atmospheres or in confined spaces where there is limited or restricted means for entry and exit, or where the activities of an employee are hindered. Candidates must be able to perform duties with confidence at sites where descending into confined spaces up to 20 feet deep is required. Safety equipment such as a harness is required for entering confined spaces. Candidates must be able to qualify for Austin Water’s Respiratory Protection Program.
The Treatment Plant Worker position is in a heavy industrial setting and requires performing all duties associated with operating heavy equipment outdoors in all weather conditions including extreme heat, cold and rain. This position will include cross training in operations of various equipment. Position will require adaptability and willingness to change or modify work load on demand and multitask. Requires working in environments which may have hazardous situations.
Pre-Employment Testing Requirements:
Selected candidate will be required to complete and pass a physical exam.
Successful candidate must pass a pre-employment Functional (FC) strength/agility test (with or without accommodations) to be considered for this position. Candidates must be able to qualify for Austin Water’s Respiratory Protection Program.
Candidates must be able to perform duties with confidence at sites where climbing ladders up to 205 feet is required, and where descending into confined spaces up to 100 feet deep is required. Safety climb equipment such as harnesses are required for climbing.
- Manual labor experience including but not limited to equipment and building maintenance, routine painting, plumbing, or construction.
- Experience using various industrial lawn care equipment such as gas powered weedeater & blowers, hydrostatic riding mower, chain saws, pneumatic power tools, pressure washer, and hand tools.
- Knowledge of safety practices required in an industrial or shop environment.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Operates and checks a variety of powered and non-powered equipment including, but not limited to, backhoe, bobcat, weed-eater, vacuum cleaner, buffer, lawn mower, rider mower, and front-end loader. Adjusts equipment, including chemical feed, as directed.
- Cleans and maintains equipment and facilities.
- Assists plant operation and maintenance technicians to perform mechanical maintenance tasks.
- Assists, under direction of licensed operator, with process control tasks such as a basic flow control, sampling, basic laboratory testing, normal operations of pumps and blowers, and adjusting chemical feeds.
- Handles a variety of hazardous and non-hazardous solvents and chemicals.
- Reads and interprets simple drawings and diagrams.
- Reads gauges and meters.
- Maintains records, enters and retrieves data using CMMS software.
- May act as member of confined space team and serve as entrant or assistant.
Responsibilities – Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
$20.00 – $22.00 per hour
Hours will vary based on location needs and are subject to change. Employees are required to work extended hours, modified shift work, after hours emergency work, bad weather days, and holidays as needed.
Monday – Friday: 6:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Govalle Occupational Development & Support
911 Linger Lane, Austin, Texas 78721
Criminal Background Investigation
This position does not require a Criminal Background Investigation