Water - Treatment Operations & Maintenance Technician Associate
Austin WaterAustin, TX, United States3M ago
Job Title: AW Treatment Operations & Maintenance Technician Associate
(also known as Pump, Valves, Hydraulic Mechanic and Plant Operations)
Location: Austin, Texas
When completing the City of Austin employment application: A detailed, complete employment application helps us to better evaluate your qualifications, and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position.
Please detail on the application any previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications. Provide each job title and employment dates for all jobs included on the application. Your work history should include the duties you performed, any supervisory or lead responsibilities, and any equipment and computer software used.
A résumé and cover letter may be submitted, but will not substitute for a complete employment application.
If you are selected to interview:
- Your skill level in General Maintenance, Basic Industrial Math, and Safety in the Workplace will be assessed, with a required minimum passing score of 70%.
- If you are selected as a top candidate:Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED, undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution.
- And are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
Pay Rate is based on past work experience that is both verifiable and directly related to the position.
The Pay Range for the position is $16.48 to $20.60 per hour.
Please apply directly on the Austin Water, City of Austin career website.
Purpose: Under close supervision, perform routine tasks to provide operational and general maintenance support at a water or wastewater treatment plant, wastewater collection, or water distribution systems facility; and work in teams to assist with more complex tasks. Perform in both operations and maintenance disciplines to develop competency in both disciplines.Duties, Functions and Responsibilities: Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Assists with process control tasks such as basic flow control, sampling, basic laboratory testing, normal operations of pumps and blowers, and adjusting chemical feeds.
- Assists with preventative maintenance tasks such as lubrication; changing equipment oil/fluids; and installing packing, bearings, and seals.
- Assists with predictive and corrective maintenance on specialized equipment such as pumps, blowers, clarifiers, and valves.
- Assists with routine rounds of the facilities to monitor treatment process and identify process anomalies or mechanical problems with plant equipment.
- Monitors data from SCADA systems and computerized control systems, instrument panels, and gauges in order to make basic process changes as directed.
- Maintains plant operations and maintenance records using log books, databases, and spreadsheets.
- Acts as member of Confined Space Entry Team and may serve as entrant or assistant.
Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised: None.Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of general maintenance processes and procedures.
- Knowledge of basic math including addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of whole numbers, decimalized numbers, fractions, and percents.
- Skill in using computers and related software.
- Skill in using hand tools and power tools.
- Skill in operating a motor vehicle and motorized equipment.
- Ability to work in environments that may have hazardous atmospheres.
- Ability to climb ladders and work at heights of up to 200 feet, and to work in confined spaces up to 100 feet deep.
- Ability to work in permit and non-permit confined spaces where there is limited or restricted means for entry and exit, or where the work activities may be hindered.
- Ability to safely wear anti-fall (SRL) body harness for confined space entry that supports up to 283 pounds.
- Ability to walk, stand, sit, bend, stoop, twist, push, pull, climb, kneel, crawl, and lift/carry up to fifty (50) pounds unassisted.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to read and follow technical guidelines and standard operating procedures.
- Ability to take simple readings from meters, gauges, control panels, and testing and monitoring equipment.
- Ability to meet and maintain driver eligibility standards detailed in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program.
- Minimum Qualifications: Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent, plus one (1) year of experience in a similar work environment such as process control, plant operations, construction, or in the operation, repair and maintenance of mechanical or industrial equipment.
- Thirty (30) semester hours of relevant formal education from an accredited institute may substitute for one (1) year of work experience.
Licenses and Certifications Required: Must obtain appropriate TCEQ License as specified by position within one (1) year of employment:
- Water Treatment Plant or Water Distribution Systems Facility: TCEQ Class D Water Operator License.
- Wastewater Treatment Plant or Wastewater Collection System Facility: TCEQ Class D Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator License or Class I Collection System License.
- Must obtain the appropriate TCEQ Class C Water/Wastewater, Water Distribution or Class II Wastewater Collection System License before Class D License expires.
- May require a Valid Texas Commercial Driver's License with endorsements.
- Valid current Texas Class "C" Driver License.
- Must be able to become certified for Respiratory Protection and Confined-Space Entry Program within six (6) months of employment and maintain certification.