Water Treatment Plant Worker
Austin WaterAustin, TX, United States3M ago
Job Title: AW Treatment Plant Worker
(also known as Water Treatment Plant Worker)
Location: Austin, Texas
Please apply directly on the Austin Water, City of Austin career website.
When completing the City of Austin employment application: A detailed, complete employment application helps us to better evaluate your qualifications, and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position.
Please detail on the application any previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications. Provide each job title and employment dates for all jobs included on the application. Your work history should include the duties you performed, any supervisory or lead responsibilities, and any equipment and computer software used.
If you are selected to interview:
- Your skill level in General Maintenance, Basic Industrial Math, and Safety in the Workplace will be assessed, with a required minimum passing score of 70%.
- If you are selected as a top candidate:Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED, undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution.
- And are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
Pay Rate is based on past work experience that is both verifiable and directly related to the position. The Pay Range for the position is $15.58 to $17.79 per hour.
Purpose: Working under close supervision, perform basic tasks to provide operational and general maintenance support at a water or wastewater treatment plant, wastewater collection or water distribution systems facility, and work in teams to assist with more complex tasks. Using established procedures, provides grounds and facility maintenance, and assists plant operation and maintenance technicians.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities: Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Operates and checks a variety of powered and non-powered equipment including, but not limited to, backhoe, bobcat, weed-eater, vacuum cleaner, buffer, lawn mower, rider mower, and front-end loader. Adjusts equipment, including chemical feed, as directed.
- Cleans and maintains equipment and facilities.
- Assists plant operation and maintenance technicians to perform mechanical maintenance tasks.
- Assists, under direction of licensed operator, with process control tasks such as a basic flow control, sampling, basic laboratory testing, normal operations of pumps and blowers, and adjusting chemical feeds.
- Handles a variety of hazardous and non-hazardous solvents and chemicals.
- Reads and interprets simple drawings and diagrams.
- Reads gauges and meters.
- Maintains records, enters and retrieves data using CMMS software.
- May act as member of confined space team and serve as entrant or assistant.
Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised: None.Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of City of Austin policies and procedures related to treatment operations.
- Knowledge of City of Austin safety practices, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge of general maintenance practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of basic math including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of whole numbers, decimalized numbers, fractions, and percentages.
- Knowledge of ground and facility maintenance.
- Knowledge of various powered equipment.
- Knowledge of hand and power tools.
- Skill in operating motorized equipment.
- Ability to learn basic computer skills.
- Ability to work in environments that may have hazardous atmospheres.
- Ability to climb ladders and work at heights of up to 200 feet and to work in confined spaces 100-feet deep.
- Ability to work in permit and non-permit confined spaces.
- Ability to safely wear anti-fall (SRL) body harness for confined space entry that supports up to 283 pounds.
- Ability to walk, stand, sit, bend, stoop, twist, push, pull, climb, kneel, crawl, and lift/carry up to fifty (50) pounds unassisted.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public.
- Ability to read and follow technical guidelines and standard operation procedures.
- Ability to take simple readings from meters, gauges, control panels, and testing and monitoring equipment.
- Ability to meet and maintain driver eligibility standards detailed in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program.
Minimum Qualifications: Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent.
- Licenses and Certifications Required: Valid current Texas Class "C" Driver License.
- May require valid Texas Commercial Driver License with endorsements within 90 days of hire.
- Must be able to become certified for Respiratory Protection and Confined-Space Entry Program within six (6) months of employment and maintain certification.