Engineer/Senior Engineer (PE)
City of LeanderLeander, TX, United States25 days ago
Targeted salary range for hiring for this position is $67,000 - $90,000 annualized. This position may be filled at the Engineer or Senior Engineer level, depending upon your qualifications.
In this role, you will be performing highly technical and specialized engineering and administrative work in connection with the design and engineering of City projects. You will need strong organizations skills to conduct administrative work, dealing directly and in depth with citizens, employees, peers, and the City Engineer in problem resolution. Your projects may include public utilities, bridges, roadways, drainage, subdivisions, commercial buildings, and water and waste water treatment plants. You may also review the construction of improvements performed by contractors for compliance with plans, specifications, and City standards on an as-needed basis, and review site development layout, site grading, storm water detention, erosion control, and cost estimation, and will prepare reports related to engineering activities, as well as and perform other related duties as required.
Essential Duties & Required Qualifications
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following (other duties may be assigned):
- Coordinate the operations of Engineering Services, Street/Drainage Departments, Utility Construction, Water Production/Distribution and Wastewater Treatment and Collection.
- Monitor construction projects and contracts of the Engineering Department and present status reports of such projects to Asst. City Engineer, City Engineer and City Council.
- Direct and help coordinate engineering works in progress.
- Work with the City Engineer and Assistant City Engineer in developing short and long term goals for Engineering, develop methodology for obtaining goals, implement and monitor progress.
- Support Assistant City Engineer in giving direction to the engineering functions of surveying, mapping, and flood control. Support preparation of plans, specifications, estimates, and contracts for major projects of street and utility construction.
- Oversee in the planning and operation of the water and sewer systems, and construction projects related to both utilities.
- Determine scope of engineering projects; prepare Request for Proposals and contracts for consulting engineers and private contractors; make technical engineering decisions and establishes technical criteria and standards.
- Attend various City administrative meetings, i.e., Planning and Zoning, City Council meetings, and other meetings as needed.
- Respond to concerns and inquiries from both the public and private sector, communicating all aspects of engineering as requested.
- Prepare and perform verbal and written presentations to City Manager, City Staff, Boards, Commissions, and Board of Commissioners as required.
- Review and evaluate engineering plans and specifications, reports and studies, and various drawings/diagrams for the purpose of checking for accuracy, to provide recommendations, and to provide approval.
- Administer all in-house and contracted engineering projects, and prepare contractual recommendations.
- Review and approve subdivision plans from Concept through the Final Plat phase.
- Work closely with other department heads, construction engineers, developers and contractors regarding engineering and public works activities and projects.
- Assist City Engineer and Assistant City Engineer in planning, developing, and implementing annual maintenance programs; operating/capital improvement budget(s), and monitor cost/expenditures to ensure adherence to such, as well as established project financial goals and objectives.
- Interact with various regulatory and governmental agencies, and consult various data sources concerning engineering standards, regulatory compliance and requirements for development activities.
- Perform onsite field inspections when conflicts and/or disputes occur.
- Maintain current knowledge of trends and developments in the field, and facilitate application of such to department policy and procedure as appropriate.
- Read recent developments, current literature, and sources of information regarding engineering.
- Prepare a variety of reports, correspondence, and special studies.
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: as assigned (may include direction and monitoring of inspector(s)
Required Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor's of Science Degree (B. S.) in accredited engineering curriculum and four years of municipal engineering or other governmental entity experience
Preferred Education and/or Experience:
Master's of Science Degree (M. S.) in accredited engineering curriculum and eight of years municipal or other governmental entity related experience
Required Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Requires possession of a current, active certificate or registration as a Professional Civil Engineer in the State of Texas and possession of a valid Texas Driver’s License.