Network Engineer Sr.
LCRA (Lower Colorado River Authority)Austin, Texas1M ago
At a senior level, provides software and hardware support for LCRA TSC’s real-time controls environments including the Energy Management Systems (EMS) and Substation Wide Area Network (SUBWAN), associated ancillary systems and servers in areas such as design, development, user administration, configuration, deployment, installation, tuning, monitoring, maintenance and updating. Participates in managing incidents, problems and anomalies including recognition, analysis and resolution. Maintains awareness of NERC, FERC and ERCOT Reliability standards including Critical Infrastructure Protection Standards. Ensures compliance with applicable NERC standards. Participates in maintaining Availability of the controls environments. Documents changes made to systems or equipment through appropriate change management, communications and record keeping practices.
This position utilizes in-depth knowledge of best practices and experience in own discipline to provide and improve services. Takes a new perspective to solve complex problems. Works independently and receives minimal guidance. Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience. May direct the work of other staff members.
The Administrator may focus on one of the four areas outlined below:
- Maintains the Network Infrastructure associated with the EMS and SUBWAN.
- Troubleshoots network systems including local area networks (LAN), wide area networks (WAN), and networks supporting substation operations.
- Maintains and configures firewalls, routers, and switches using standard protocols.
- Creates and maintains numerous VPN’s and new firewall additions.
- Maintains network management software.
- Researches, analyzes and implements software patches or hardware changes to fix any network deficiencies.
- Drafts, updates and follows detailed work instructions relating to network maintenance using established processes and procedures.
- Identifies best and cost effective network solutions that meet stringent security and availability requirements.
- Support the asset identification/categorization process for devices/servers in the EMS and SUBWAN environments for regulatory purposes.
- Experience with Junos Space/Secruity Director
- Experience with network monitoring tool such as Nagios
- Knowledge of IDS/IPS technology
- Experience with Splunk, Infoblox
- Juniper Certification - Any but JNCIS/JNCIP Secruity highly prefered
- CISCO Certification - Any but CCNP routing & switching or security preferred
This general overview only includes essential functions of the job and does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by supervisor or management.
Minimum Requirements --
Nine or more years of experience in the respective focus area. A degree(s) in computer science, information technology, telecommunications, engineering, or relevant field may be substituted per LCRA guidelines for certain years of experience.