Summer Swim Instructor - YMCA of Austin
YMCA of AustinAustin, Texas15 days ago
How you will contribute to our Purpose:
The Y’s purpose is to strengthen the community. Every day, we work side by side with our neighbors to make sure everyone, regardless of age, income, or background, has the opportunity to learn, grow, and thrive. There are lots of places to work, but few opportunities to do work that really matters. Not only will you have the chance to help children, youth, and adults of all ages reach their potential, you’ll be making a huge difference in your community as well.
The YMCA of Austin is looking for a passionate individual to teach students of all ages how to feel confident around water. As a Swim Instructor, you will play a vital role in providing a safe and positive instructional swimming environment for members and program participants, ages 6 months and up. You will provide strong leadership, instruction (in accordance with the National YMCA Aquatic Program Guidelines), and motivation for students in swimming classes. This is a seasonal part-time role that will start in May 2021.
Recruitment & Hiring Target Dates
- Application review and interviews will begin on February 5th – May 3rd
- Job offers March 1st – May 3rd
**Please note that all dates are tentative, and can change based on program operations**
- Free membership to all YMCA's of Austin (over $600.00/year value).
- Flexible schedules
- Career advancement opportunities
- Employee discounts on programs and more
- Voluntary 403b Retirement Savings Account
What are the details?
- You protect the health, safety, and welfare of all persons in the pool area.
- You maintain the cleanliness of the area; remove items and equipment when finished or those that need attention all needed repairs to your supervisor.
- You follow pool lockup procedures if your class is not followed by another activity. If your class is followed by another group, remain on duty until you are relieved.
- You render first aid as needed and complete an incident/accident report form for every injury/altercation on the premises.
- You communicate and engage with participants, parents, or guardians regarding the progress of class participants.
- You teach classes as assigned by the program director.
- You complete other duties that are assigned.
What you bring to the Purpose:
- Education and Experience: You are a minimum of 16 years old and a swimming background preferred. We will ensure you get all the certifications required and have all the resources you need to be successful in this role.
- You are a team player. You are a team player with a positive, service-oriented attitude and you can work well with others.
- You are organized and productive. You are organized, able to prioritize tasks and handle multiple assignments.
- You are a strong Communicator. You listen for understanding and meaning. You speak and write effectively.
- You foster a culture of inclusion and belonging. You leverage people’s differences as strengths.
- Availability: You have the availability to work flexible hours during gym operational hours.
Pay Range: $9.00 - $16.00 per hour, depending on experience
The organization has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills, and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
The YMCA of Austin provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. YMCA of Austin complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which we have employees. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.