Water - Wastewater Pipeline Technician Worker
Austin WaterAustin, TX, United States3M ago
Job Title: AW Pipeline Technician Worker or Associate
(also known as Water or Wastewater - Pipeline Technician)
Location: Austin, Texas
Please apply directly on the Austin Water, City of Austin career website.
When completing the City of Austin employment application: A detailed, complete employment application helps us to better evaluate your qualifications, and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position.
Please detail on the application any previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications. Provide each job title and employment dates for all jobs included on the application. Your work history should include the duties you performed, any supervisory or lead responsibilities, and any equipment and computer software used.
If you are selected to interview:
- Your skill level in General Maintenance, Basic Industrial Math, and Safety in the Workplace will be assessed, with a required minimum passing score of 70%.
- If you are selected as a top candidate:Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED, undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution.
- And are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
Pay Rate is based on past work experience that is both verifiable and directly related to the position.
Worker Pay Range is $15.58 to $17.79 per hour
Purpose: Under close supervision, using established procedures and receiving detailed instructions perform physical tasks as an entry-level laborer in the Water and Wastewater Pipeline Operations.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities: Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Drives personal and City of Austin vehicles on official business and must maintain a driving record that meets the City of Austin driving standards.
- Assists in the basic operation, inspection, and maintenance of a variety of vehicles and heavy equipment.
- Assists in the operation, calibration, troubleshooting, maintenance and minor repair of a variety of electronics, computers, hand, electrical, pneumatic, mechanical power tools and equipment.
- Assists in the set-up, operation and maintenance a variety of safety-related equipment according to utility safety procedures and SOP's.
- Assists in asset control, inventory activities and supports crew members on job sites.
- Assists in reading and interpreting maps, plans, drawings, meters and gauges and videos.
- Performs labor intensive work.
- Assists in the completion of paperwork, forms and reports as necessary.
- Learns how to respond to citizen questions, concerns and complaints.
- Performs maintenance tasks in confined spaces, up to 100 feet deep with the use of a SRL Body Harness that supports up to 283 lbs.
- Performs construction and maintenance tasks that require climbing to heights of up to 20 feet on ladders that support up to 300 lbs.
- Performs construction and maintenance tasks that require lifting and carrying equipment and supplies weighting up to 50 lbs. unassisted.
- Safely Performs operations and maintenance tasks that may require working in in hazardous environments with exposure to hazardous chemicals, solvents, and adverse weather conditions.
- Performs maintenance tasks that require working in confined spaces, which includes the use of SCBA and other confined space equipment.
- Acts as a member of a confined space entry team, and may serve as an entrant or attendant.
- Performs tasks that require working various shifts, on-call and/or call back hours.
Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised: None.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of City of Austin policies and procedures related to pipeline operations
- Knowledge of City of Austin safety policies and procedures
- Skill at reading diagrams and technical drawings.
- Skill at using hand tools and power tools.
- Skill at operating a motor vehicle and motorized equipment.
- Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to read and follow technical guidelines and standard operating procedures.
- Ability to operate breathing apparatus and respirators.
Minimum Qualifications: At least 18 years of age.
Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent.
- Licenses and Certifications Required: Valid Texas Class "C" Driver's License.
- Must be able to obtain the appropriate class of Commercial Driver's License with endorsements within ninety days of employment.