Accounting Associate II
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four year college or university with major course work in a field related to Finance, Accounting, or Economics.
- Up to four (4) years of related experience may be substituted for education.
Licenses or Certifications:
- Experience in accounts payable related activities.
- Experience in handling and responding to customer services and inquiries.
- Experience in cash handling and credit card reconciliation.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel.
- Ability to travel to more than one work location.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
- Prepares and reviews payments, cash receipts, billing or other accounting transactions by verifying documentation and accurately completing transactions.
- Prepares asset, liability, and capital account entries by compiling and analyzing account information.
- Performs non-routine duties associated with the reconciliation, balancing or processing of vouchers, ledgers, journals, reports and statements.
- Researches and resolves complex and difficult billing, invoicing, financial inquiries, accounting and budget information.
- Reconciles accounts, identifies and prepares corrections by collecting and analyzing account information and analyzing accounting options.
- Processes travel documentation and monitors credit card activity and ensures that transactions and supplemental documentation is in compliance with policies, procedures and internal controls.
- Prepares standard and non-standard financial reports, financial analysis, data analysis and graphical data. Prepares financial statements and/or special financial reports including balance sheets, income statements, and other reports.
- Research and reconciles accounting transactions, fixes discrepancies. Maintains information and reviews financial transactions by creating and/or monitoring electronic files and/or accounting documents.
- Prepares audit work papers for annual or special audit by accumulating data accurately for assigned area(s) in a timely and accurate manner.
- Assists in the development of guidelines, procedures and templates for financial review and reporting.
- Maintains accounting controls and financial security by following policies and procedures and internal controls.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Knowledge of financial reporting concepts and preferred business practices.
- Skill in analyzing and interpreting financial records.
- Skill in processing large volumes of numerical data.
- Skill in identifying problems and recommending solutions.
- Skill in effective verbal and written communication.
- Skill in operating a personal computer and related equipment.
- Skill in performing basic mathematical calculations.
- Skill in classifying fiscal data and compiling reports.
- Skill in developing complex spreadsheets.
- Ability to plan and organize tasks to complete projects.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize duties.
- Ability to resolve problems or situations requiring the exercise of good judgment.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public.
$22.85 – $26.24
Mon – Fri 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM with some flexibility (Hybrid)
Austin Water Utility
Waller Creek Center, 625 E. 10th St., Austin , TX
Criminal Background Investigation
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.