Austin Water Operations & Maintenance Supervisor (Pump Stations & Reservoirs)
Click here to view additional details or positions at Austin Water, or to apply for this position.
Working with Austin Water provides a number of health and welfare benefits such as low-cost medical, dental, vision, paid leave time, a highly competitive retirement plan, training opportunities, and more. Please click here for more information on benefits.
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent, plus six (6) years of progressively responsible experience in the operations maintenance and repair of industrial equipment, including five (5) years of experience which were progressively responsible in potable water distribution systems facility or water treatment plant operations and repair and maintenance of potable water pumping and storage or water treatment (or comparable) plant equipment, and including one (1) year of experience with lead or supervisory duties.
Licenses or Certifications:
- Required to stay current in the AW Respiratory Protection and Confined-Space Entry Programs.
- Current Texas Class C Driver License.
- May require a Valid Texas Commercial Driver’s License with endorsements.
- Water Distribution Systems Facility: TCEQ Class B Surface Water License, Class B Water Distribution License or Class B Groundwater License or higher.
- Supervisory experience of five (5) or more employees to include hiring, training scheduling, and performance evaluation.
- Background in the repair and maintenance of remote pump stations and reservoirs and/or plant distribution equipment to include pumps, gear boxes, motors, valves, etc.
- Knowledge of basic purchasing practices and procedures.
- Experience using computerized maintenance management database for maintaining work order and asset maintenance history.
- Skills in use of Microsoft Office Suite, such as Excel and Outlook.
This position is responsible for the supervision of employees in the operation and maintenance of a multi-zone potable water distribution system.
Working with Austin Water provides a number of health and welfare benefits, such as medical, paid leave time, a great retirement plan, training opportunities and more – click HERE for more information.
- This position requires a Class B (or higher): Surface Water License or Water Distribution License from Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ).
- If you hold an equivalent license from another state that is eligible for reciprocity from TCEQ, please note that reciprocity is required by the date of hire.
- TCEQ may restrict granting an occupational license to individuals with certain criminal convictions. To review TCEQ’s criminal conviction guidelines, go online to TCEQ.
- This position requires a valid Texas Class C Driver License or the ability to acquire one by your hire date. External New Hires must meet the City of Austin’s Driver Record Evaluation (DRE) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months.
- This position will require that you be able to perform the following essential job functions with confidence and with or without reasonable accommodations: carrying or lifting up to 50 lbs., pushing or pulling up to 50 lbs., sitting, standing, walking, lying, climbing stairs and ladders, reaching overhead, kneeling, crawling, stooping/bending, twisting, repetitive foot and hand movement, driving, grasping and squeezing, ability to wear personal protective equipment including a self-contained breathing apparatus, exposure to extreme weather conditions, atmospheric conditions, hazardous conditions, and very loud noise.
- Selected candidate will be required to complete and pass a pre-employment physical exam to be considered for this position, which includes a Functional (FC) strength/agility test.
Confined Space Entry Requirements:
- Candidates must be able to work in environments which may have hazardous atmospheres or in confined spaces where there is limited or restricted means for entry and exit, or where the activities of an employee are hindered.
- Candidates must be able to perform duties with confidence at sites where climbing heights of up to 200 feet is required on ladders that support up to 300 lbs., and descending into confined spaces up to 100 feet deep with the use of a required SRL body harness that supports up to 283 lbs., including 18 lbs. of equipment.
- Candidates must be able to qualify for Austin Water’s Respiratory Protection Program.
When completing the City of Austin employment application:
- Please be sure to detail on the application all previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- A detailed, complete employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Be sure to provide job title and employment dates for all jobs you wish to be considered.
- A résumé is required, but will not substitute for a complete employment application. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please include contact information from previous employers.
- A cover letter is also required. In the cover letter candidates should describe, in concise detail, their interest in this position and highlight any prior experience that is relevant to this position.
If you are selected to interview:
- Your skill level in Microsoft Office Excel and Outlook will be assessed, with a required minimum passing score of 70%.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED, undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution
- And are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
- Job offers are contingent upon passing a Criminal Background Investigation, pre-employment physical, respiratory physical, and driving record evaluation.
All Austin Water worksite locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any AW worksite – including construction sites, parking lot, garage or in any personal vehicle located on the premises.
$26.55 – $34.52 per hour
Monday – Friday; 7:00 AM – 3:30 PM.
This position is considered essential personnel and may be required to work during inclement weather and on weekends and holidays. Overtime, callback, and on-call may be required based on business necessity.