Business Intelligence Consultant
City of Austin WaterAustin, Texas7 months ago
This position will serve as the primary liaison between business and technical units to understand the business needs, perform business analysis and help identify and test solutions, and lead teams through the Business Intelligence integration/delivery/ongoing updates to make informed business decisions.
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Analyzes business and functional requirements and translates these requirements into robust, scalable, and operable solutions.
- Collects, analyzes, and shares data to help business teams drive improvement in key business metrics, customer experience, and business results.
- Utilizes database and web application technologies to design, develop, and evaluate innovative business intelligence tools and automated reports.
- Designs, develops, and tests BI solutions such as databases, data warehouses, queries and views, reports, and dashboards.
- Performs conversions, imports, and exports of data within and between internal and external software systems.
- Merges BI platforms with enterprise systems and applications and documents new and existing models, solutions, and implementations.
- Enhances the performance of BI tools by defining data to filter and indexes.
- Troubleshoots BI tools, systems, and software. Troubleshoots reported data loads or reconciliation inconsistencies in conjunction with the sites for data models and/or reports.
- Tracks, monitors, and analyzes performance and production issues, and implements improvements.
- Supports and helps manage external resources, such as service providers and vendor support and participates in vendor evaluations.
- Maintains the quality of Metadata Repository by adding, modifying, and deleting data.
- Provides input to the development of data/information quality metrics.
- Tracks and reports on issues and enhancement requests for the business in a timely manner.
- Analyzes and tests new releases/versions of software.
- Designs and delivers end-user training and training materials. Trains users to transform data into action-oriented information and to use that information correctly.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
May provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training, and guidance to others.
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of reporting analysis, design, and programming principles as well as knowledge of multiple industry standard reporting tools such as Crystal and Business Objects.
- Knowledge of industry standard database systems such as MS, SQL, and Oracle.
- Knowledge of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) and Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) concepts.
- Knowledge of release, change, configuration, and incident management.
- Knowledge of industry reporting techniques and developing and maintaining interactive reports.
- Knowledge of relational data modeling and relational database design.
- Knowledge of standard industry ERP technologies such as SAP.
- Knowledge of business operations as well as one or more business functional areas.
- Skill in data analysis and data mining.
- Skill in identifying and solving system and application problems.
- Skill in coordinating work projects and providing technical assistance.
- Skill in preparing data structures, flowcharts, and logic flow diagrams.
- Skill in applying migration procedures.
- Skill in analyzing and meeting the data processing needs of users.
- Skill in working with people of varying technical abilities in a team environment.
- Skill in training groups on reporting standards.
- Skill in analyzing major system reporting problems and applying appropriate solutions.
- Skill in actively participating in functional unit testing, integration testing, stress testing, systems testing, and user acceptance testing.
- Ability to learn City specific and industry standard reporting tool sets.
- Ability to explain complex technical information in business terms and communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to support and work with Business Intelligence/Data Warehousing environments.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City staff and the general public.
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four (4) year college or university with major coursework in a related field, plus five (5) years of relevant experience in consultation and the utilization of BI tools.
- Graduation with a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university may substitute for up to two (2) years of the required experience.
- Experience facilitating and functioning as the primary liaison between business and technical units
- Experience retrieving and developing scope and detailed requirements documents to ensure division business needs are understood and acceptable to all impacted areas
- Experience with and thorough understanding of Business Intelligence software systems, processes, and methodologies
- Experience performing business analysis, identification of requirements, and testing for a variety of software and Business Intelligence development projects including highly complex enterprise-wide projects
- Experience leading teams through Business Intelligence integration, project delivery, and ongoing operation and maintenance
- Ability to travel to more than one work location