Training Supervisor (City of Austin)
Click here to view additional details or positions at Austin Water, or to apply for this position.
Working with Austin Water provides a number of health and welfare benefits such as low-cost medical, dental, vision, paid leave time, a highly competitive retirement plan, training opportunities, and more. Please click here for more information on benefits.
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Organizational Development, Business, Communication or related field, plus four (4) years of training experience, two (2) years of which were in a lead or supervisory capacity.
- Experience may substitute for education up to four (4) years.
- Experience in a utility or similarly regulated organization with high-risk field environments.
- Experience leading or supervising teams and providing effective leadership to employees that provide technical instruction.
- Experience in establishing and developing successful business relationships.
- Knowledge of and experience in conducting a variety of training (classroom, hands on, online, etc.) to include adult learning principles, identification of most effective learning methods and design/development of course materials.
- Experience managing and providing strategic direction for training programs, including establishing goals, conducting needs assessments, setting standards for training materials and methods, evaluating training effectiveness, identification of performance measures, and making data driven decisions.
- Experience complying with OSHA regulatory standards for technical instruction in topics such as respiratory protection, confined space entry, and HAZWOPER.
The purpose of this position is to manage the training activities and determine the strategic direction for Austin Water’s safety training programs. This position supervises the safety training functions and develops strategies, goals, and action plans. This position is responsible for the design and implementation of training strategies, training programs, and training performance measures. The safety training programs for Austin Water must comply with OSHA regulatory requirements and meet the standards and expectations of other agencies as well. Austin Water is a high-risk environment and employees perform tasks in a wide range of duties. Safety training programs that this position oversees include respiratory protection, confined space entry, HAZWOPER training. Courses provided by this division include classroom training, hands-on skills training, and online training. This position will also oversee the training provided by external contracted providers.
Working with Austin Water provides a number of health and welfare benefits such as low-cost medical, dental, vision, paid leave time, a highly competitive retirement plan, training opportunities and more. Please click HERE for more information.
When completing a City of Austin employment application:
- Please be sure to detail on the application all previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- A detailed, complete employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Be sure to provide job titles and employment dates for all jobs you wish to be considered. A resume is required, but will not substitute for a complete employment application. Please include contact information from previous employers.
- A cover letter is also required. In the cover letter candidates should describe, in concise detail, their interest in this position and highlight any prior experience that is relevant to this position.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED, undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution and proof of your professional licenses or certifications.
- If you are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
Effective October 1, 2014, all Austin Water worksite locations are tobacco-free.
Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any AW worksite – including construction sites, parking lots, garages or in any personal vehicle located on the premises.